Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... i got the kawi race ecu for my 08, i installed it and rode it a bit before i was goin to get it tuned and noticed that my fan wasnt coming on anymore. I took it to the local dealer, and they said that they called kawi and kawi told them that there is not a cooling fan switch in the race ecu. Have anyone with the race ecu on their 08 ran into this? If so, how are yal makin ur fans come on?

·
Registered
794 Posts
So... i got the kawi race ecu for my 08, i installed it and rode it a bit before i was goin to get it tuned and noticed that my fan wasnt coming on anymore. I took it to the local dealer, and they said that they called kawi and kawi told them that there is not a cooling fan switch in the race ecu. Have anyone with the race ecu on their 08 ran into this? If so, how are yal makin ur fans come on?

I bought the Bazzaz unit kuz I did not like the KIT program. Install a switch you can control yourself ..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know i can install a switch to control it myself. its just that my local kawi shop hasnt been selln kawi very long, and this is the 1st kit ecu that they have ever messed with, so i'm not real sure if they know what they are talkin bout when they tell me that there is not a fan switch in the race ecu. I think they are basing this on the fact that the fan wrkd with my stock ecu and now it doesnt. I purchased the race ecu thru them and maybe they just dont wanna replace it if its not wrkn properly?

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
The Kawi race ECU's will not operate the fan. If thats your only problem with it, then unit is good. This is normal and has been dsicussed on this forum many times.

Race bikes almost universally remove the radiator fan to allow for more airflow thru the rad at top speed and also drops another pound of weight.

The fan is not needed on a race bike, thus the engineers did not include that feature in the race ECU's. It is a race ECU afterall, and wasnt designed for street bikes.

Hook up a switch yourself, or live without the fan.

JJ

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an 06 kit ecu and the ecu has output for the fan but the harness that connects it the main bike harness (inter harness) doesn't have the wire. So what I did was bought another inter harness ($40.00)took it apart to get a wire with the connector ends and plugged it into the inter harness. The fan works just like stock. Again this is for an 06 ecu NOT the 08.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Is the race ecu going to make a real big difference in performance?
They are hard to tune. Old Guy on here sold his 08 race ECU and bought a Bazzaz.

Most race teams still piggyback a PC3 on them due to being hard to tune the A/F. The rest of the Race ECU is easy to adjust, so they have best of both worlds?

JJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts