Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am replacing my starter cover. I took all the bolts off as specified on the manual. I can't pull out for some reason the big cover. ( I did remove the torque limiter and the bolt behind too. still nothing) .

I can just about manage 1mm clearance at the bottom but it seems where the starter motor slides through is really jammed, Nearly brought the bike on my self by pulling and cursing.

Any help will be appreciated.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
i just replaced mine and it is a tight fit. i got 2 small screwdrivers and worked them in at 2 opposite spots, a little at a time. then i moved both of them to 2 different spots and just took my time and it came off.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
OK, I am replacing my starter cover. I took all the bolts off as specified on the manual. I can't pull out for some reason the big cover. ( I did remove the torque limiter and the bolt behind too. still nothing) .

I can just about manage 1mm clearance at the bottom but it seems where the starter motor slides through is really jammed, Nearly brought the bike on my self by pulling and cursing.

There is a hidden bolt inside, are you sure you got that one? Just asking because you never know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just replaced mine and it is a tight fit. i got 2 small screwdrivers and worked them in at 2 opposite spots, a little at a time. then i moved both of them to 2 different spots and just took my time and it came off.
will give it a try. the hidden nut got removed, but it is a nightmare. anyway did you silicone back the points required by the manual?

·
Registered
86 Posts

Also try tapping a few times with a rubber mallet and wiggle it a few times, you can't really pry it off because of the dowel pins. I had to do that to get mine off.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The spot where it likes to hang up is on the O-rings that seal the starter on the top left-hand corner. Sometimes a little prying (AND I MEAN A LITTLE... VERY GENTLE) between the starter and the back of the case (right behind where the clutch cable runs through) will start to wiggle it free. Alternate light pressure there and moving the bottom of the case and it will come off. Well, it will if you have all the bolts out. :badteeth: You have to go a little bit at a time, bottom-then-top, until it comes loose. Do not try to pry/pull any one side all off at once...it will break the case. :)

There is only one "hidden" bolt in that set up, and it is the one behind the first gear that engages the starter. There is a dowel in the upper part of the case though, and that combined with the o-rings makes it a real pain to get off sometimes. :)

G'luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
will give it a try. the hidden nut got removed, but it is a nightmare. anyway did you silicone back the points required by the manual?
uhoh. no i didnt read the manual. i suppose i should probably silicone it if it calls for it. i'm one of them guys that tries to put it together first and then reads the manual.

·
Registered
198 Posts
are u selling the starter cover

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are u selling the starter cover
i am not, it only has a little scrape only on the pimple at far right low part of the case which is nothing... will stick pyramid carbon covers on top to hide and the protection + cosmetics solved.
i am only asking to remove the cover because i have snapped a fcuken alloy bolt inside even when i applied the right torque with the right tool and the bolt should have withstand it stated by pro-bolt but i guess not too high on quality :(

Thanks guys for your help will try it in a few hours

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
by the way does anyone know if oil flows in there, i dont think it does but i cant figure out exactly the oil flow chart from the manual

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

i have oil coming out of the bottom of the cover
[/IMG]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i just went out and took it off in 10 mins , its very easy , turns out my cover is fine , just need a new gasket
can i ask where you bought the gasket from and the cost? thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts