Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ones kinda strange and has me scratching my head since it's never happened to me before on any bike. Was out for a ride Saturday evening on my '08 ZX-10r, whipped into Starbucks (no jokes please) for a quick cup and about 30 minutes later when I cranked her up the red warning light came on and flashed for about 10 seconds. I was at idle the entire time, shut her down, checked oil level (fine) and waited a few minutes and tried again, this time after about 6 or 7 seconds the light went out. Normally the light goes out in less than one second after start so this had me a bit concerned. I did not have the presence of mind to check if it was the FI or oil pressure symbol flashing in the LCD display as both go along with the red warning lamp on teh '08/'09s. When I got home I shut down and repeated several hot and cold starts and the warning light went out as normal in less than one second after startup. I rode her all day sunday with no repeat. I don't like problems like this that I can't explain, makes me nervous. Bike has a tad over 1700 miles with Akra Evo exhaust, TRE from Ivan and a PCIII with Ivan's map. One last thing, the low fuel light had just come on when I pulled into Starbucks. The first thing that crossed my mind was the red warning lamp was acting like a master caution light and directing my attention to the amber low fuel warning light on startup.....like you could ever miss it with "Low Fuel" flashing on the LCD display. I checked the manual when I got home and it did not mention any connection between the two warning circuits. Should I chalk this one up to "gremlins" or is there something else I should know about this bike?:dontknow:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts
If I was you, I'd ignore it for right now and just monitor it to see if the FI light comes on with it next time. It could just be a fluke, you never know. I had the FI light start blinking in the middle of my ride a few outings ago and I pulled the code right then and there. Checked the manual and it was a Comm error between the ECU and instrument cluster related to the gear input. It must've been a loose connection with my XTRE in there and after I restarted the bike, everything was fine. I wouldn't spend much time chasing an intermittant problem unless it's somewhat repeatable or shows more consistancy. Just keep your eye on it and try to get more information if it happens again. I do know that "oh shit" feeling when you see that happen though. :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, i just got an 08 ZX10R in april with no miles on it. For a while the red warning light would come on while I was riding but once I turned it off and started up again, the light was off. Now it doesnt come on anymore.
The problem I have been having is that I have to start it more than once to keep it running. It has died at a stop light a few times. Dealer said it was because of the heat since I live in las vegas. But it has been 70's at night and in the morning and it still does it

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, i just got an 08 ZX10R in april with no miles on it. For a while the red warning light would come on while I was riding but once I turned it off and started up again, the light was off. Now it doesnt come on anymore.
The problem I have been having is that I have to start it more than once to keep it running. It has died at a stop light a few times. Dealer said it was because of the heat since I live in las vegas. But it has been 70's at night and in the morning and it still does it
uhmmmm i would really get a second check on that while the warranty is still good.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i will be getting a check up. i hate dealerships
I don't blame you there bro, I hate to have someone else touch my bike....no one is ever going to care as much about your bike as you do. Sometimes though you have to trust and this may be one of those cases. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I was you, I'd ignore it for right now and just monitor it to see if the FI light comes on with it next time. It could just be a fluke, you never know. I had the FI light start blinking in the middle of my ride a few outings ago and I pulled the code right then and there. Checked the manual and it was a Comm error between the ECU and instrument cluster related to the gear input. It must've been a loose connection with my XTRE in there and after I restarted the bike, everything was fine. I wouldn't spend much time chasing an intermittant problem unless it's somewhat repeatable or shows more consistancy. Just keep your eye on it and try to get more information if it happens again. I do know that "oh shit" feeling when you see that happen though. :lol:
That's basically what I decided to do, I'm not going to get excited about it just yet....may never happen again.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Red warning light came on again when I pulled in to refuel on Sunday morning. This time I did check the LCD display and it is the FI code flashing not oil pressure.....whew! I shut down and restarted and it went out in about 3 seconds, never came back on again. I have a funny feeling it's the same issue as Sky Dork, probably caused by the TRE install. I wondered about that when installing it, if you get a bad connection the ECU "sees" infinite resistance and then what?? There are specific resistances for each gear and for neutral in the gear position sensor. TheTRE 009 I have from Ivan has the same resistance as the GPS sees in neutral. This is one reason I decided not to add a piggy back fuel unit like a PCIII on my new ZX-6R and instead went with a simple slip-on and left everything else alone. I've been lucky so far on all my bikes until the 10 but when you start messing with the wiring harness on a computer bike, you can be asking for trouble down the road.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well if it is the fi light it could be just something small. my fi light has been on for over a year just because the servo motor for the exhaust valve went bad. so could just be somethin small thats no biggee
Yea, it seems like no big deal, it only has happened twice and it cleared both times. I'm betting it's either PCIII or TRE connection as it didn't start until after I added both those items. I'm not going to sweat it for now.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Darn FI and warning light came on again yesterday and I almost couldn't get it to go off. It never does it when cold and it doesn't do it when real hot like you shut down to refuel. It's only after a hard ride and you let the bike sit for about 30 or 40 minutes then it comes on every time and lately it's getting harder to clear. I shut it down and restarted about six times yesterday evening and it kept flashing. Finally I said "screw this, I'm riding it home" and it magically went off. I need to get it to a dealer and have them pull the code as this is becoming a major pain in the arse. I have a funny feeling it's the bloody TRE acting up.

13 Posts
Darn FI and warning light came on again yesterday and I almost couldn't get it to go off. It never does it when cold and it doesn't do it when real hot like you shut down to refuel. It's only after a hard ride and you let the bike sit for about 30 or 40 minutes then it comes on every time and lately it's getting harder to clear. I shut it down and restarted about six times yesterday evening and it kept flashing. Finally I said "screw this, I'm riding it home" and it magically went off. I need to get it to a dealer and have them pull the code as this is becoming a major pain in the arse. I have a funny feeling it's the bloody TRE acting up.
I had my 09 ZX10 and up until 600 miles oil low pressure never came on. Did my first oil change and "low oil pressure warning" light blinked for three minutes! I decided it could not be determined if engine suffered damage or excessive wear so sold it back to dealer for 1700 loss! I was so pissed off they should have given me my entire money back selling me a crapy bike. Turns out lots of Kawasakis seem to lose their oil prime after oil change. Was told to burp oil filter but that is ridiuclouus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.