Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would post this settings incase some did not get this issue of SportRider magazine. Its in the Aug. issuse. They picked the ZX-r10 as the best by the way.
Front:
Spring preload-6.5 lines showing
Rebound damping-8 clicks out from full stiff
Compression damping-4 clicks out from full stiff
Ride height-6mm from top of fork cap to triple clamp.
Rear:
Spring preload-27mm thread showing
Rebound damping-2 turns out from full stiff
High speed compression damping-2.5 turns out from full stiff
Low speed compression damping 1.75 turns out from full stiff.

I have my bike broke in with 1500 miles and have had a chance to try these settings for awhile and really like them. My riding is street with me going about 195lbs dressed to ride. Stock tires. If you try these take it easy for awhile to get used to it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just thought I would post this settings incase some did not get this issue of SportRider magazine. Its in the Aug. issuse. They picked the ZX-r10 as the best by the way.
Front:
Spring preload-6.5 lines showing
Rebound damping-8 clicks out from full stiff
Compression damping-4 clicks out from full stiff
Ride height-6mm from top of fork cap to triple clamp.
Rear:
Spring preload-27mm thread showing
Rebound damping-2 turns out from full stiff
High speed compression damping-2.5 turns out from full stiff
Low speed compression damping 1.75 turns out from full stiff.

I have my bike broke in with 1500 miles and have had a chance to try these settings for awhile and really like them. My riding is street with me going about 195lbs dressed to ride. Stock tires. If you try these take it easy for awhile to get used to it.

good looking out firedude ! IMO this info IS very helpful baseline settings for the 08-09 Kawi ZX-10 R

·
Registered
282 Posts
I got the this mag too...and I'm probably 220lbs in gear and I would say this front set-up is too rigid with a little too much rebound to be honest (for track too mind you!)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Dropping the forks 6mm in the triples is pretty aggressive IMHO. The trade off is in stability vs how fast a bike will turn in. I'd be cautious because even with the stock geometry (triples flush with the fork caps) the 10R a little flighty.

I think the main reason Sport Rider did this was to get the bike to hold a tight line in a turn due to the insufficiently soft stock rear shock spring rate. More of a band aid fix to yield quicker lap times, rather than a good all around setting.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dropping the forks 6mm in the triples is pretty aggressive IMHO. The trade off is in stability vs how fast a bike will turn in. I'd be cautious because even with the stock geometry (triples flush with the fork caps) the 10R a little flighty.

I think the main reason Sport Rider did this was to get the bike to hold a tight line in a turn due to the insufficiently soft stock rear shock spring rate. More of a band aid fix to yield quicker lap times, rather than a good all around setting.
Did you try the settings? If you have not you may be surprised. I was.
I have lowered the triples on many of my bikes, dirt and street with good success. I take my 10 over 150 often and have been to 175 before and after and did not notice a stability problem. I have no track time yet. Could be my riding style also but the turn in was my biggest problem before adjustments with this bike. Felt heavy in turns. That 6mm worked for me. Like I said, take it easy until you get used to. As alaywa said it is on the firm side, which I like. I do ride on the aggressive side most of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts