Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Can anyone help out by providing some quick detail on how to bleed the stock damper and how to refill it with the new oil?

2) What grade oil? Some people are saying use motor oil (10W40) while others are saying use fork oil, whats the better option?

Thanks, my 6R didnt really have a need for a damper and the MV's damper works great stock, so really appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks guys!!

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Search! there are several good threads with pictures that show the complete process in detail. You want to use fork oil, not motor oil, are you nuts?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Why not use motor oil is there a reason for this, i am just curious as whats the difference in using fork oil and motor oil

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Search! there are several good threads with pictures that show the complete process in detail. You want to use fork oil, not motor oil, are you nuts?
thanks for the links man. Not nuts, just going off what has been stated in the forums thus far about the 08 damper. Infact some guy actually spoke to an ohlins rep and apparently he recommended using 40 wt motor oil!

I tried searching but couldn't find any how-tos, but thanks for the link!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
i used motor oil in my 08 dampner and in a buddies 07 as well no problems and it makes it 1000 times better than stock...... why would anyone be "nuts" for using motor oil.....??? the dampner is not a 10000lbs jack that needs spcl hydlic fluid

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
We've found the stock un-molested damper to work fine on the track. The '06-'07 we changed out entirely.
Was not aware there was a difference:dontknow: Can you cross reference part numbers?

About the motor oil, that just sounds like a cheap way out, there are aditives that are put in motor oil to make it have different properties depending on different situations, not saying it would not work, but why not spring for some 10$ fork oil, and know that you got a oil that is intended for suspension components, well either way, thicker oil will make the damper better

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Was not aware there was a difference:dontknow: Can you cross reference part numbers?

About the motor oil, that just sounds like a cheap way out, there are aditives that are put in motor oil to make it have different properties depending on different situations, not saying it would not work, but why not spring for some 10$ fork oil, and know that you got a oil that is intended for suspension components, well either way, thicker oil will make the damper better
i tried heavy fork oil in the 07 and in the 08 and did not make it stiff enuf for my liking on the track or street.....and so i called ohlins and a tech rep there told me that i should use 10w-40 motor oil because kawa makes ohlins sign a agreement that the stock dampner will only have a certain degree of adjustment....... so he said i would have to put in a really thick fork oil to change it alot ...or i could just go to walmart spend $3 on some cheap motor oil and it would work just as good or better then heavy fork oil and would save me some cash.......so i took he advice and saved a couple bucks and it works great......try the motor oil ...what do you got to lose but $3......

·
Banned
333 Posts
A run down on a stiff damper!!!!!
ok so you on you favorite back road with your new and improved {I use the term loosely}damper, with your 90w gear oils stuffed in that bad boy! and your thinking to yourself, this thing is so stiff nothing can stop me now! you hit a bump on your drive out of your apex and get some head shack, but you stay on he the gas cuz nothing can stop you now! YOU GOT 90W in that Damper!!! but the ONE thing you NEVER want A damper to do it does, you see yours is so stiff it has no other option!! it called "transference" it brakes down like this, a head shack or hell even a tank slapper is OKAY! {yeah I know sound like bull shit} but it's a part of your suspension!! it's the bike trying to right itself from a wrong you caused! now with a properly adjusted Damper this whole thing would just play itself out and all would be good...BUT you in your infinite wisdom,and a spare bottle of crude oil got other things in mind, so it begins!... your head shake starts small then it gets bigger but all the force it's creating has no were to go! you see with your STIFF damper you just married your head shake to your frame!! now like electrical current it is looking for the path of less resistance...AND HEY....it just found it! and "IT" is out through the rear tire!! sooooo now your bike starts to wag it's tail like a dog, but only this dog is wagging it's head at the same time! now THIS DOG just turned into the main event at a world class rodeo and your sitting on a Bull named Highside!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
ok so you on you favorite back road with your new and improved {I use the term loosely}damper, with your 90w gear oils stuffed in that bad boy! and your thinking to yourself, this thing is so stiff nothing can stop me now! you hit a bump on your drive out of your apex and get some head shack, but you stay on he the gas cuz nothing can stop you now! YOU GOT 90W in that Damper!!! but the ONE thing you NEVER want A damper to do it does, you see yours is so stiff it has no other option!! it called "transference" it brakes down like this, a head shack or hell even a tank slapper is OKAY! {yeah I know sound like bull shit} but it's a part of your suspension!! it's the bike trying to right itself from a wrong you caused! now with a properly adjusted Damper this whole thing would just play itself out and all would be good...BUT you in your infinite wisdom,and a spare bottle of crude oil got other things in mind, so it begins!... your head shake starts small then it gets bigger but all the force it's creating has no were to go! you see with your STIFF damper you just married your head shake to your frame!! now like electrical current it is looking for the path of less resistance...AND HEY....it just found it! and "IT" is out through the rear tire!! sooooo now your bike starts to wag it's tail like a dog, but only this dog is wagging it's head at the same time! now THIS DOG just turned into the main event at a world class rodeo and your sitting on a Bull named Highside!
sorry bro that my "wisdom" is not as good as yours, but i have only said that motor oil worked for me and it fits my style of riding, never said that using it was the best..... it just works and is not a $450 price tag on it..... and even with the motor oil in it , it still is plenty adjustable so that it is not too stiff for "safety" like i said just found that it works for my style .... and thats usually w.f.o. down my "favorite backroads" ... but to each's own.....give it a try and you mite find what iam sayn aint b.s. .... whata got to lose $5 on oil and a few mins of time taking it off ...... but you ARE RITE about one thing a dampner thats too "stiff" can upset the bike more then most guys know ...

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
The 08 does have a different part # than the 06-07 and was supposedly upgraded. But I own both a 06 and 08 and they both seem to have the same little amount of damping from soft to full hard. I can't tell any difference, but there may be some.

I have opened my 08 up to redline in the 1st 3 gears on a fairly rough hard gravel road and no hint of a wiggle set on the softest setting.

JJ

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
when i was at barber doin a track day a month ago .... before i changed the oil, coming out of turns #2,4,7 under hard thrttle the front end got real shaky , but after i put the 10w-40 motor oil in .... it was $$ ..alot better....but like i said thats just my exprnce .... maybe others are diff.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I get a lil shake on hard WOT here and there but its me that's causing it, just need to try and relax a lil bit more but it pulls so fucking hard, its hard trying to hang on:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I get a lil shake on hard WOT here and there but its me that's causing it, just need to try and relax a lil bit more but it pulls so fucking hard, its hard trying to hang on:thumbsup:
got that shit rite bro.......hard to hold on too......did ya watch the ama yesterday? Hacking was all over the frecking place tryn to keep the 10 under control, looks like team kawa still has lot to do with set-up on the bike....but sure over next cple races they will have it rite, by the way bro how does the bike feel with the ecu kit on there?? alot more power or what??

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
got that shit rite bro.......hard to hold on too......did ya watch the ama yesterday? Hacking was all over the frecking place tryn to keep the 10 under control, looks like team kawa still has lot to do with set-up on the bike....but sure over next cple races they will have it rite
"Bucking Bronco" Seriously! It's amazing he rides like that for 24/25+ laps. I wonder if he crapped out the second session or if it was really the bike:wink:

I need to get in the gym more, I'm spent at the end of the day:badteeth:

The air/fuel is zero(same as stock ecu) but the timing is different, more throttle response. Getting a tune done wednesday, like I need more power:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
"Bucking Bronco" Seriously! It's amazing he rides like that for 24/25+ laps. I wonder if he crapped out the second session or if it was really the bike:wink:

I need to get in the gym more, I'm spent at the end of the day:badteeth:

The air/fuel is zero(same as stock ecu) but the timing is different, more throttle response. Getting a tune done wednesday, like I need more power:rolleyes:
haha, no joke bro.... i think he was tierd of fightn it lol........ lemme know how it seems after the tune for sure..... i wanna get my track and street 08 ready for this year but dont know is iam buy the kit ecu or just two pc3's

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I did a little test with my '08 damper filled with 40w and the Hyper-Pro on my '04 sitting next to it. The '08 tightened all the way has the same resistance as the Hyper-Pro set on the fifth from softest setting. So I wouldn't worry too much about that scenario.

Good luck to anyone that wants to buy 40w fork oil, even 30w has to be ordered if you want it around here.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I did a little test with my '08 damper filled with 40w and the Hyper-Pro on my '04 sitting next to it. The '08 tightened all the way has the same resistance as the Hyper-Pro set on the fifth from softest setting. So I wouldn't worry too much about that scenario.

Good luck to anyone that wants to buy 40w fork oil, even 30w has to be ordered if you want it around here.
:+1:... good point andy.....i think that a "stiff dampner" is the least of most people's worries on the new 10.....i think the worst thing is tryn to keep both tires on the ground and gettn as much traction as psble. on the street and track, that thing is just like my 04 10 was always tryn to be a uni-cycle.... :crackup::crackup:... i think more people are gonna crash these new 10's on street/track due to front washing out or ass-end coming out from under them

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
:+1:... good point andy.....i think that a "stiff dampner" is the least of most people's worries on the new 10.....i think the worst thing is tryn to keep both tires on the ground and gettn as much traction as psble. on the street and track, that thing is just like my 04 10 was always tryn to be a uni-cycle.... :crackup::crackup:... i think more people are gonna crash these new 10's on street/track due to front washing out or ass-end coming out from under them
Or almost flipping over backwards and scaring you so bad you f#ck up and crash. Not sure it could actually flip, but it seems like that under power in 1st with the throttle pin it could. Ultimately that is the limiter for me when I can't see where Im going because the triple clamp is in my field of view.

I did 700 miles the past 4 days, almost got busted by the cops today. Another 15 seconds and they would have had me before I got back on the freeway.

Im taking a break the rest of the week and counting my ble$$ing$.

JJ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts