Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's doing it? I want to know the results!

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
if its anything like the previous gen then enjoy. dont be a pussy do it yourself and you tell us what you think. i hope you at least tried it on your previous 10s?

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL A pussy? Don't even have my bike yet fuGGer.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
I read somehwere this mod is not reversable if you don't like it. That the screws used to hold the flies in have special loctite that can handle the gasoline environement that flies are subject to. That if you try to put them back in with regular RED loctite they will come out and go thru your motor. I beleive I read this on Brocks website and it was Brock giving the warning and it happened to a couple of 14's he knew of. Apparently the mod is so radical on 14's they couldn't live with the bikes always trying to loop over backwards so they put the flies back in and later the screws came out.

Nothing to concern yourself with if you like the mod because the screws won't be going back in ever.

You should just know all the angles before jumping in. I'm not dissing the mod, and may try it one day myself.

JJ

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
thats not what your sig says, poser

·
Registered
116 Posts
I read somehwere this mod is not reversable if you don't like it. That the screws used to hold the flies in have special loctite that can handle the gasoline environement that flies are subject to. That if you try to put them back in with regular RED loctite they will come out and go thru your motor. I beleive I read this on Brocks website and it was Brock giving the warning and it happened to a couple of 14's he knew of. Apparently the mod is so radical on 14's they couldn't live with the bikes always trying to loop over backwards so they put the flies back in and later the screws came out.

Nothing to concern yourself with if you like the mod because the screws won't be going back in ever.

You should just know all the angles before jumping in. I'm not dissing the mod, and may try it one day myself.

JJ

No fuel presence there. The secondary are on top before the injectors.
Red loctite should be fine.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Have you ever seen an engine run with the airbox off, then twist the throttle and watch the gas flow backwards. Its quite common on engines with cams that have a lot of overlap. Has NOTHING to do with where the flys are actually located. It is also very heat sensitive here as well.

Hey, Im just reporting what I read and Brock Davidson is a legend in engine tunning.

That is all.

JJ

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Here is more. I just think people should know all the ins and outs of what they are doing. It is a GOOD mod, not knocking it. Red loctite from Pep Boys might even be OK. :dontknow:

JJ

From Brocks website

My first, and biggest, problem with removing the secondary plates is that it is a mechanical modification, which could lead to serious problems for some because it involves the USE of TOOLS! Not only can the inexperienced strip the head of one of these little screws, but having one fall down into the engine would be VERY BAD. Also, they are held in place with a heat-sensitive thread locker which can be a bit tricky to unlock for the non-mechanical type. Worse even is the fact that as a function of the engineering process of designing such a machine, a proper thread locker (for use in the supersonic, fuel-filled atmosphere of an engine inlet) must be chosen and thoroughly tested to prevent failure--forever.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Here is more. I just think people should know all the ins and outs of what they are doing. It is a GOOD mod, not knocking it. Red loctite from Pep Boys might even be OK. :dontknow:

JJ

From Brocks website

My first, and biggest, problem with removing the secondary plates is that it is a mechanical modification, which could lead to serious problems for some because it involves the USE of TOOLS! Not only can the inexperienced strip the head of one of these little screws, but having one fall down into the engine would be VERY BAD..
if you open up the secondaries you can stuff a lil tissue in their to catch anything that falls. my 04 didnt have any kind of thread locking gew either.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the secondary injectors directly above the flies attached to the bottom of the airbox lid? This would make direct fuel presence.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the secondary injectors directly above the flies attached to the bottom of the airbox lid? This would make direct fuel presence.
:+1::screwy:

A buddy of mine put his flies back in with red loctite and has had to this day no problems...... It could be a few rare cases but is it something worth risking???? who knows but when you pull the flies out of the 04-07's you dont get the power increase as a 14......

but I would only do that mod with a full system if it was me.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I removed the butterflies but replaced them at the beginning of the last season when I got the race ecu. I used blue locktite and until today, they are fine. I wouldn't be too paranoid about it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
you are correct (on the 08's) and in the picture that the guy attached that "showed no injectors" you can clearly see the injectors (left side top of airbox)

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats not what your sig says, poser
Man, I guess you can call my dealer then... ask him why my damn bike isn't in yet. Sorry for asking a simple fucking question. Seeing how I asked YOU specifically... :postwhore

·
Registered
116 Posts
:lol: You are completely right! How can I miss those?

In that case the fuel is in contact in there but I am not sure if it's really a problem for the loctite :dontknow:
I gess the fuel can find is way between the bolts treads but thats not sure either.

I personnaly may try this mod on my 05 and would put the secondary back if needed using red loctite without too much worry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts