Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 08 have a governor? :dontknow:

and does anybody know how to remove it if so :badteeth:?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't believe it does.

The speedo stops at 185 though. In some video's of max speed you'll see the RPM's keep climbing to max in 6th.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seen it from personal experience :badteeth: still wondering

bump

anybody 100%?

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
governor? this isnt a car haha, there are things that do restrict power so it can pass emissions though. But no there isnt one inless you want to call the cats and the pre muffler and the secondary butterflies and the valves that open inside of the stock exhaust all a governor in a way. And so you all know the speedo/ gauge cluster reads tell 189 but with 5.6 % error your really only going 180 at best.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes, infact 08 ZX10R has one. There is a 6th gear limiter, that prevents it from going faster than ~300kph or so. 5th gear goes max rpm up to real engine limiter, but 6th gear is limited.

Previous ZX10R gens didn't have one.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Yes, infact 08 ZX10R has one. There is a 6th gear limiter, that prevents it from going faster than ~300kph or so. 5th gear goes max rpm up to real engine limiter, but 6th gear is limited.

Previous ZX10R gens didn't have one.
:+1: ** CORRECTED** The G3 is indeed limited to a max speed of about 185 mph. It isn't just gear dependent either as it is regulated by the ECU via the speed sensor. Upon reaching ~185 mph it cuts timing and keeps the bike from accelerating any further regardless of what gear your in. In a previous thread, Ivan (of Ivan's Performance) had brought this issue to light.

Apparently it is not easy to resolve this as manipulating the signal with a speedohealer "downstream" from the ECU doesn't circumvent the governor. Also, unlike Suzukis which are gear dependent, using a TRE to fool the ECU to thinking it's in a different gear doesn't appear to work either. If anyone has successfully defeated this restriction, I'd like to hear how you did it and how you verified it. The only way I can think of is to data log a 6th gear run (dyno or datalogging device), or an accurate GPS reading.

Remember, this is real actual speed, not the optimistic speed reported by the speedometer. Either way, 185 mph is plenty unless you're doing 9/10th's racing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:+1: The G3 is indeed limited to a max speed of about 185 mph. It isn't just gear dependent either as it is regulated by the ECU via the speed sensor. Upon reaching ~185 mph it cuts timing and keeps the bike from accelerating any further regardless of what gear your in (ie: 5th gear, 18T front sprocket or smal rear sprocket). In a previous thread, Ivan (of Ivan's Performance) had brought this issue to light.

Apparently it is not easy to resolve this as manipulating the signal with a speedohealer "downstream" from the ECU doesn't circumvent the governor. Also, unlike Suzukis which are gear dependent, using a TRE to fool the ECU to thinking it's in a different gear doesn't appear to work either. If anyone has successfully defeated this restriction, I'd like to hear how you did it and how you verified it. The only way I can think of is to data log a 6th gear run (dyno or datalogging device), or an accurate GPS reading.

Remember, this is real actual speed, not the optimistic speed reported by the speedometer. Either way, 185 mph is plenty unless you're doing 9/10th's racing.
+rep good answer

i thought i remembered reading something in ivans TRE post but there was so much in there i just skimmed. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
isnt there an racing ecu that removies it and improve performance to?

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
762 Posts
:+1: The G3 is indeed limited to a max speed of about 185 mph. It isn't just gear dependent either as it is regulated by the ECU via the speed sensor. Upon reaching ~185 mph it cuts timing and keeps the bike from accelerating any further regardless of what gear your in (ie: 5th gear, 18T front sprocket or smal rear sprocket). In a previous thread, Ivan (of Ivan's Performance) had brought this issue to light.

:headshake At least not the units coming here (non US model)

They EASILY go beyond gps 189mph, up to gps 200 mph with PC, full Akra/Yosh and +1/-1.

Something MUST be different regarding the US mudel ecu :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
:headshake At least not the units coming here (non US model)

They EASILY go beyond gps 189mph, up to gps 200 mph with PC, full Akra/Yosh and +1/-1.

Something MUST be different regarding the US mudel ecu :dontknow:
Sorry, I messed up on my previous post regarding the sprockets and 5th gear top speeds. Duh! me=idiot. I re-read it, and it was not what I had intended.

If you regeared the bike +1/-1, and if you have the HP to pull it to 200 mph, the US bike can do it too. The governor is based on the speed sensor (at the countershaft) and stock gearing. Basically what it means that while in 6th gear the rev limiter comes in early to keep it from busting the 185ish mph governor.

What I meant to say in my previous post was theoretically, if you could rev out 5th gear high enough to beyond an actual 185 mph, the ECU will do the same thing and retard ignition timing to keep you below the speed threshold. It's speed sensor related and not just gear position like the Suzukis.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
5,932 Posts
wow, rep sent your way, best answer I have seen in a while to a question. But is there a ecu replacement out there or a computer that counteracts the limiter in 6th? So you know I have my bike geared down -2,stock, just moved from -1,+1 and my bike with a speedo healer in 5th goes tell 183, 6th is 187 something I think but thats not stock at all though

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
762 Posts
Sorry, I messed up on my previous post regarding the sprockets and 5th gear top speeds. Duh! me=idiot. I re-read it, and it was not what I had intended.

If you regeared the bike +1/-1, and if you have the HP to pull it to 200 mph, the US bike can do it too. The governor is based on the speed sensor (at the countershaft) and stock gearing. Basically what it means that while in 6th gear the rev limiter comes in early to keep it from busting the 185ish mph governor.

What I meant to say in my previous post was theoretically, if you could rev out 5th gear high enough to beyond an actual 185 mph, the ECU will do the same thing and retard ignition timing to keep you below the speed threshold. It's speed sensor related and not just gear position like the Suzukis.

Sorry for the confusion.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

wow, rep sent your way, best answer I have seen in a while to a question. But is there a eco replacement out there or a computer that counteracts the limiter in 6th? So you know I have my bike geared down -2,stock, just moved from -1,+1 and the -2 down
You basically don´t need to mess with limiters.
The 08/09 motor has enough power to pull gps 200 mph. You need for this:
PCommander
Full exhaust (akrapovic recommended)
CUSTOM map
+1 front
-1 rear
2 inches lowered (front and rear)
no mirrors

and..

full 3 miles straight line at WOT

:thumbsup:

·
5,932 Posts
3 miles haha, at most 1 the way I ride haha, maybe a low 190mph pull but I doubt with out some motor work a 08/09 zx10r will see 200 with those simple mods. I mean I have a lot done to my bike tuned and my bike with my gps unit tops out at 192. something with +1,-2

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
762 Posts
3 miles haha, at most 1 the way I ride haha, maybe a low 190mph pull but I doubt with out some motor work a 08/09 zx10r will see 200 with those simple mods. I mean I have a lot done to my bike tuned and my bike with my gps unit tops out at 192. something with +1,-2
:lol: Well.. you know, what I´m telling you is plain truth. You don´t need motor work on the 3rd gen to top 200 mph.

Some other variables are altitude (we are at see level here) and body size and weigh, but trust me some guys here have reached gps 203mph (+1/-2) (yes...indeed!) without engine work.

Go from -2 at the rear to -1 (40T) That will be enough to top 200.

Lowering the bike is a must (and as the rest of components I told you), as well as the 3 miles distance . It takes too long to top that speeds

·
Registered
677 Posts
:lol: Well.. you know, what I´m telling you is plain truth. You don´t need motor work on the 3rd gen to top 200 mph.

Some other variables are altitude (we are at see level here) and body size and weigh, but trust me some guys here have reached gps 203mph (+1/-2) (yes...indeed!) without engine work.

Go from -2 at the rear to -1 (40T) That will be enough to top 200.

Lowering the bike is a must (and as the rest of components I told you), as well as the 3 miles distance . It takes too long to top that speeds

you guys i think have a better ing. advance curve then the us bikes and you don't have the limiter like we do so that holds us back a little.

rider position, mirrors and all the little tricks like lowering, good chains and sprockets which are light weight etc etc are easily worth 8-10 mph in topend runs so yeah I believe ya.

race kit ecu solves the limiters and give you a more agressive ing. curve as well as a few other things on the US bikes.

·
Registered
387 Posts
you guys i think have a better ing. advance curve then the us bikes and you don't have the limiter like we do so that holds us back a little.

rider position, mirrors and all the little tricks like lowering, good chains and sprockets which are light weight etc etc are easily worth 8-10 mph in topend runs so yeah I believe ya.

race kit ecu solves the limiters and give you a more agressive ing. curve as well as a few other things on the US bikes.
i thought you had to tune the extra ignition curve into it though as i thought the kit ecu comes with the same parameters as a stock ecu on the gen 3? i know the older kit ecu's like i have on my 636 have a higher rev limiter and more timing without reprogramming. it would be nice if this was the case on the gen 3 kit ecu as well. i do know you must install some sort of fan switch when installing the kit ecu on a 3rd gen as the stock ecu controls the fan and the kit ecu does not have that parameter in it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts