Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im right around 700 miles and was thinking of doing the break in oil change myself.. the book calls for 10w-40 oil and 3.9 qts when the filter is removed.. Just curious what brands and types of oil you guys are using if you have done this on your own.. TIA..

·
Registered
16 Posts
damn, im at 630 today and have changed it 5 times.. Thats me just being anal. lol. I have just used the kawi 10-40 and filters so far. Few more miles and it will switch to Amsoil 10-40, as I have always done in the past.

There are thousands of posts and debates on oils, miles, etc.. Just make sure it gets changed. Thats the most important part.

One thing thats a plus on this bad boy, it is REALLY easy to change the oil and filter.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
If you look at manual you will get the correct specs for the oil required, you will find that you are quite limited to what the engine requires.

I spent a whole day in bike shops and Wallmart looking at the back of oil bottles to match the correct numbers and ended up with Shell 10w/40 , the only oil that had the exact API and JASO numbers.

·
Registered
380 Posts
What if you dont take your bike in for the first service. I always have, something about entering it into the computer system for warranty coverage. Any truth to this??
Actually I talked to a buddy of mine that works in the service department and aparently is you dont have your first service on the books, it goes under "Inproper break in" for Kawasaki.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
your warranty is NOT void if you dont do a 600 mile with a dealer. Make sure you save your receipts and log your work.

Also, dude, 5 oil changes with 630 miles? its your $$$ but thats not anal thats obsessive compulsive! There is absolutely no need to do that but hey whatever lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you look at manual you will get the correct specs for the oil required, you will find that you are quite limited to what the engine requires.

I spent a whole day in bike shops and Wallmart looking at the back of oil bottles to match the correct numbers and ended up with Shell 10w/40 , the only oil that had the exact API and JASO numbers.

ya thats what confusing me the book says ..

Type:
API SE, SF or SG
API SH, SJ or SL with Jaso MA

Viscosity
SAE 10w-40 <----only thing i understand :headshake

·
Registered
284 Posts
damn, im at 630 today and have changed it 5 times.. Thats me just being anal. lol. I have just used the kawi 10-40 and filters so far. Few more miles and it will switch to Amsoil 10-40, as I have always done in the past.

There are thousands of posts and debates on oils, miles, etc.. Just make sure it gets changed. Thats the most important part.

One thing thats a plus on this bad boy, it is REALLY easy to change the oil and filter.
thats crazy

·
Registered
16 Posts
your warranty is NOT void if you dont do a 600 mile with a dealer. Make sure you save your receipts and log your work.

Also, dude, 5 oil changes with 630 miles? its your $$$ but thats not anal thats obsessive compulsive! There is absolutely no need to do that but hey whatever lol

lol, really wasnt too expensive. the Oil I got for free, I was just out the $ for a few filters. This is the way I have always done it. Then after the 600 mile mark it gets changed around every 1000.

·
Registered
387 Posts
i run shell rotella full synthetic since my second oil change at 1000 miles. it only comes in 5w-40 but it runs great with it. i have over 20,000 miles on my 636 with this oil and almost 7,000 on my 08 10r with it. great stuff. i use pureolator pure one filters as they are considered by people in the know to be the best out there and they are only 6 bucks each, the rotella costs 17.00 a gallon for the synthetic.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
ya thats what confusing me the book says ..

Type:
API SE, SF or SG
API SH, SJ or SL with Jaso MA

Viscosity
SAE 10w-40 <----only thing i understand :headshake
API SH, SJ or SL with Jaso MA additives in the oil

This is the most important. 10w-40 or 20w-50 or 15w-50 or whatever viscocity, it depends on what climate you live. Here is hot all year round so 20w-50 or 15w-50 for me

·
Registered
387 Posts
i had misstyped 5w-30 instead of the correct 5w-40 for the shell rotella. even though the rotella does not have some of those certifaction standards, they have said it passes all those on their in house testing. it is also a pure synthetic and not a highly refined dino oil like many others out their, and its rated for wet clutch applications.
figured i would through that out there as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts