Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I dont think they will I think if you had an 06-07 it can. if anything get the crank lightened polished and balanced at falicon.... takes 2 lbs off and it gives it a nice oil cutting polish....

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks garth for the quick response.iwasnt aware that the gen1 and gen 2 cranks are diffrent only the flywheel.oh well there goes that idea

·
Registered
753 Posts
I read somewhere that the 06/07 crank is 2lbs heavier than the 04/05.
That leaves the 08 crank weighing the same as the 04

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
ya know what I forgot about that, they did make the crank I think 7% heavier I read somewhere..... so i wonder if they weigh the same...

·
Registered
753 Posts
About close I think.
Anyway, the 08 crank weighs are repositioned giving the same inertial mass as the previous heavier 06/07 crank.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Yeah, the 06/07 cranks were made heavier to handle the torqe/power easier and not want to wheelie so much, then in 08 they made the crank lighter, but remained the same rotational inertia. I say make that shit as light as possible and let her scream...

It should be the same as in bigger motors, such as V8's. A heavier crank/flywheel makes a much broader spread of torque and power where a lighter one might make more peak power and a more inconsistent curve. Now I'm not sure that was necessarily the truth, because dyno graphs were compared with "supposedly" stock bikes and the 04's power curve was much more favorable. It does not mean that the 06/07 is any slower, makes less power, or is any less of a threat. Just helps keep the wheel down and in certain instances will make the bike faster. All in the nature of a beast, and with that said there is no taming a ZX10R.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts