Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
I honestly don't think anyone has tried it. If you have access to a cheap pair I would try it and see what happens, might just need a spacer or something like the 1000RR calibers. If you are just looking to upgrade you brakes I would go with zx-14 or 07/08 zx6r calibers because they bolt right up. Also Ervins has a thread about using the 1000RR/600RR calibers with only needing a spacer. I don't know the details but I think its a sticky.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I honestly don't think anyone has tried it. If you have access to a cheap pair I would try it and see what happens, might just need a spacer or something like the 1000RR calibers. If you are just looking to upgrade you brakes I would go with zx-14 or 07/08 zx6r calibers because they bolt right up. Also Ervins has a thread about using the 1000RR/600RR calibers with only needing a spacer. I don't know the details but I think its a sticky.
What's wrong with the stock calipers? Won't some good lines and pads do the trick? Are you seriously racing at the front of the pack or just hard track days or canyon racing? Most stock bikes with some decent rubber are way over most riders head...except pro racers. AFM#674 :zx_blue:

AFM # 674

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
I believe that I read the 08 calipers will work but they require the use of ZX-14 rotors?

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
What's wrong with the stock calipers? Won't some good lines and pads do the trick?
You're kidding right? The stock set up on my 04 was terrible - the brake lever would pull almost to the grip under normal street use. Since converting to a full ZX-14 system I have no complaints - the braking performance is superior to the stock set up.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
You're kidding right? The stock set up on my 04 was terrible - the brake lever would pull almost to the grip under normal street use. Since converting to a full ZX-14 system I have no complaints - the braking performance is superior to the stock set up.

+1...I have ridden a few bikes and the stock brake set up on the 06 10R was straight fucking garbage...Not doing the caliper swap is crazier IMO...No way would I have bought a 10R if I knew the brakes were such shit...Hell I was close to trading my 10R for a gixxer 1k until I did the 1000RR caliper swap.

Heck I did the FrenTubo lines, Vesrah RJLs, and Brembo 19x20 Billet and it was still shit...Better but shit...Then I did the 1000RR calipers and all is PERFECT now.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I believe that I read the 08 calipers will work but they require the use of ZX-14 rotors?
I'm pretty sure the 08's have 310mm rotors where 04-07 only use 300mm rotors. So maybe you could get the 08 rotors and machine 5mm off, or get the new rotors as well but you probably won't notice much of a difference.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've got 08 Tokicos on my 07, but I had to fit ZX14 discs to suit, you will notice a difference from the stock calipers.

Also, on a gen 1, you'll need a radial master cylinder to get the best effect, a 2005/06 636 C1H/C6F seem to have the best reputation for the outlay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts