Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking in to getting a new header to convert my link/slip in to a full. I've noticed that the Yosh header and the Arrow header are pretty much about the only available header that you can purchase seperately...

I noticed that with the Akra, there is an indention/pinch right after the very first 90º coming from the head and the rest of the headers do not.. Is this an Akra signature or is this a "leading edge design" that Akra has came up with?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Interested..... I don't know all th details but I did see something about akra forming their systems with water pressure in the pipes. Maybe allowing them to make tighter radiuses without pinching.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They call it hydroforming. It's a process where they inject the metal with liquid and expand it into a form rather than stamping or machining it. It allows companies to form metal into shapes that stamping cannot. I know Micron makes what they call a serpent header design, but don't know how well they perform compared to a round tube exhaust. May be worth looking into.

·
Registered
356 Posts
They call it hydroforming. It's a process where they inject the metal with liquid and expand it into a form rather than stamping or machining it. It allows companies to form metal into shapes that stamping cannot. I know Micron makes what they call a serpent header design, but don't know how well they perform compared to a round tube exhaust. May be worth looking into.
Cool. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the theory behind the serpent header is related to the Bernoulli Effect (http://home.earthlink.net/~mmc1919/venturi.html) which will cause gases forward of the restriction to be scavenged due to the Venturi effect of the accelerated gases in the header restriction area. Sorry engineering major here :badteeth:
English... You speak it mudduh fudduh? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
H20-50, clear as muddy water

·
Registered
380 Posts
English... You speak it mudduh fudduh? :mrgreen:
Basically with the restriction in the header (the serpent bend) the gases "pull' gases behind them, scavaging in escence. Its not a free flow header its a scavaging header which raises back pressure (good!!) and helps the gases exit at a higher rate than free flow.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn't that what the OP said? I have the akra slipon and link pipe.would prefer to buy just a header inside of another exhaust
I spoke to an Akra rep and boy are they proud of their product. $870 for the header itself, cool, but the catch is, he told me that Akra will not split up a system and sell the header by itself.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Basically with the restriction in the header (the serpent bend) the gases "pull' gases behind them, scavaging in escence. Its not a free flow header its a scavaging header which raises back pressure (good!!) and helps the gases exit at a higher rate than free flow.
Hmm, good explanation. I suppose that this also aids in the backfires and flames that a lot of people with full Akra exhausts rather than other "free flowing" exhausts?

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
I ordered the serpent system today for my gen1. It's the pipes only. But $223 shipped?! Can't fuggin beat it.
I will post pics and review once install is complete. May even compare the weights.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered the serpent system today for my gen1. It's the pipes only. But $223 shipped?! Can't fuggin beat it.
I will post pics and review once install is complete. May even compare the weights.
Do tell where and how you made this possible? PM if needed.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
$870 for the header itself, cool, but the catch is, he told me that Akra will not split up a system and sell the header by itself $870 for the header itself, cool, but the catch is, he told me that Akra will not split up a system and sell the header by itself.[/QUOTE]

that's retarded, " $870 for the header itself, cool, but the catch is, he told me that Akra will not split up a system and sell the header by itself". So you can't buy the header? Personally I want a akrapovic ti header and a racefit growler.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
$870 for the header itself, cool, but the catch is, he told me that Akra will not split up a system and sell the header by itself $870 for the header itself, cool, but the catch is, he told me that Akra will not split up a system and sell the header by itself.
that's retarded, " $870 for the header itself, cool, but the catch is, he told me that Akra will not split up a system and sell the header by itself". So you can't buy the header? Personally I want a akrapovic ti header and a racefit growler.[/QUOTE]

Apparently not, unless Dude has found a place that can do it.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
^^^thats crazy, you can get a one off set welded/bent and made for $300-400 bucks down my way!! for $870 bucks you can get a full system

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^thats crazy, you can get a one off set welded/bent and made for $300-400 bucks down my way!! for $870 bucks you can get a full system
Yes, I was quoted an Arrow and Yosh for the 380 range.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Do tell where and how you made this possible? PM if needed.
It's for gen1. They are clearing them out I guess, they had the same deal for the 636 but those sold out long ago. Its straight off microns site.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts