Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, anyone tired of removing the windscreen and speedo each time to remove the front mirrors/turn signals for a track day? I have a quick fix that might help some of you.

Kawasaki made one lead coming from the wire loom longer, and the other one shorter, presumably to allow access to the plugs to make removal quick and easy. Only one problem with that... they're reversed! (at least on mine and my buddies 08) I have to think they didn't mean to do that, but by the time they realized it was wrong, they were not willing to spend the time and money to fix it. Once something is in production, they really won't change anything. Here is a simple fix to make things easier.

The key to this fix is swapping the wires on the turn signal switch. Once you do that, you plug in the turn signals front and rear into the opposite plugs. To swap the wires, you need some decent soldering skill, so if you're not proficient, get a buddy or someone to do that part of it. Pull off the turn signal switch cluster from the left handlebar. Pull the knob off the turn signal switch and remove the two screws holding in the turn signal switch. Cut the wire tie holding the wires to the switch housing. Expose the solder joints on the switch and anchor the switch assembly to something to hold it still. I zip tied mine to the clutch lever. You should be looking at a silver, orange and green wire. You need to swap the silver and green (or outer two) wires.

That's all there is to it. Zip tie the wire back on checking the wire routing and making sure there is no tension on any wires. Also, you can get a new knob or put a dab of jb weld on it just to make sure it stays put.

Once this is done, you will have access to the front turn signal wire plugs and won't have to do anything at all to the front of your bike to have a track day, Just unscrew the mirrors and go.

Hope this helps someone... - PK :smile:

·
Registered
117 Posts
swapped out the antennae`s for Rizomas...blinkers?...inegrate them into yer running lights (in front, next to yer headlights)...cleans it up real nice....

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I'm a bit confused. I unplug the turn signals and headlights for trackdays. Everything plugs back up just fine.:dontknow:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a bit confused. I unplug the turn signals and headlights for trackdays. Everything plugs back up just fine.:dontknow:
Can you get to the plugs without removing the windshield and speedo? If so, you may be a case where they did the wire harness right. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
My mirrors and turn signals can be removed without that BS you gotta go through. Maybe they made the Blue 3rd Gens right :dontknow:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Mine are unplug and unbolt and your ready to go...No need to remove your windscreen nor gauge cluster...Its 4 bolts and two plugs. VERY EASY...If you dont like doing this, then wire your running lights to your blinkers and change out the mirrors for something different...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My mirrors and turn signals can be removed without that BS you gotta go through. Maybe they made the Blue 3rd Gens right :dontknow:
maybe, but all 3 guys I've talked to have this same issue, the wire loom is backward so the long lead goes to the wrong side. If you can unplug your front turn signals without moving the speedo (plugs are exposed) then yours is definitely right. I have a 09 special edition, and my buddies have 08 solid green demons. :smile:

ps... I don't have to go through that bs anymore, remember? :smile:

·
5,932 Posts
I don't know, maybe some fool ran your shit backwards then :lol:

Good luck man :thumbsup:

mine are so easy, takes no more then 2 minutes when i had the stockers on there...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know, maybe some fool ran your shit backwards then :lol:

Good luck man :thumbsup:

mine are so easy, takes no more then 2 minutes when i had the stockers on there...
Is that the scooter on your avatar, or a real bike? :lol: :mrgreen:

·
5,932 Posts
Its a inside joke :lol:. LONG STORY, between my self and another member here LOL....Pocket bike :idea:

Boils down to me being 135 pounds suited so the pocket bike suited me well :crackup:

:wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts