Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'08/'09 ALREADY HAS LOWER GEARS IN TRANNY AND REAR SPROCKET - NO NEED FOR 16T FRONT SPROCKET

Source: Motorcyclist Magazine http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...fications.html

Here's the scoop from the article:

Clutch/Transmission
Back-torque-limiting slipper clutch is standard equipment, and adjustable via the installation of different-thickness plates that are part of the factory race kit. Inside the transmission, the first, fourth and fifth gear ratios have been lowered slightly for quicker acceleration. This, coupled with a one-tooth-larger rear sprocket (final drive is now 17/41, compared to 17/40), makes acceleration even more immediate, especially in the lower gears.

This explains why folks on here with the '08/'09 are quicker than in the 1/4 mile with stock sprockets!!! :helmet:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I run a 16/41 or 16/42 or 15/42 out at the strip and I run faster times then the stock gearing and I always launch at around 8900-9100rpms. 16/41 has a 2.52 ratio which is freaking great! I just posted on to the other thread about this gearing shit. I think you all need to go buy about 5 different front sprocket and rear along with a rear stand and test this shit out gearing wise instead of reading shit out of a mag!!! Its all about feel with me and I can tell you 16/41 is a great setup, heck thats honda's setup and whats everyone say about honda, there great in the mid-range right? I change my gearing like I change my socks, because I do days out at the strip, track days, high speed runs ect.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Which setting runs the best and can you post the slips please? I'd like to know. There is a big difference in rider skill. There's a guy on here who runs the 1/4 quicker with the 17t. He has a STOCK '08 and does 9's every pass.

·
5,932 Posts
I'm at work right now, I'm kinda computer illiterate when it comes to uploading things but thats why the wife is handy haha. But I ran two weeks ago with my 09 10r strapped and at the swb with like I said 15/16/41/42 combo's and was staying consistent in the 9s at around 140-145mph with my stock gearing the first time I went out I was launching great but was staying in the low 10's or high 9's where two weeks ago I ran a 9.78 at 144mph in the 1/4th. When I get home I will see if I can copy the slips on to the computer if thats right

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was not sure if it was me just getting used to the bike or not but....

Since putting the 16t sprocket it feels like I get less of kick in the pants when open it up in a straight line. However in the hills the sprocket rocks!

·
5,932 Posts
well yeah you lost some top end, thats why in a striaght line you dont feel as fast if anything, but I can tell you this if a guy with a 15/42 combo can hold off two 08 zx10rs with stock gearing you can with your 16tooth just up front. Top end is great but if you get the hole shot say doing roll ons and catch a easy 5 bikes you can hold them off for a good mile or two, which by that point the race should be done on the streets you know

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wow! I thought this was going to be an interesting thread. Like maybe..... how the bike hooks up coming out of the corners and accelerates down the short straight or something with a sprocket change. Is there a thread on here that talks about riding these bikes in the manner for which they were made? 9 seconds of riding for 1320ft. in a straight line just doesn't provide any long term thrills.... like burning a tire thru a corner, or maintaining a steady 185mph down the autobahn! (Which does have curves)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
^These bikes were made to make Kawasaki money, and the end user can use them how they see fit.

Reactions: MagicMavis

·
Registered
462 Posts
^ It's kind of like owning a brand new Ferrari for your first car and living in Manhattan.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Maybe it's just me, (probably) but this thread makes no sense to me whatsoever. Gear it how you want and be done. Comparing the final gearing to the Honda makes even less sense. What about the primary gear ratio? :dontknow:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts