Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So I have been reading up on the "pulling to the right" issue since I have it, and started reading about the "clutch cable routing". I went out the garage to look at it and what do I find? THE CABLE IS WORN/CRACKED!?!? And I only have 1200mi on it? WTF? I have plenty of free play in the cable, but when I go FULL lock left (ie park) it rubs the frame. I know this is old news to some, but this is the first one I found all the way through. It "looks" perfect untill you flip it over. I snapped a couple of pic, sorry for the shitty camera phone quality!:( But you will see where to check yours! I cant see any damage to the cable inside, but I cought this pretty early! 1200mi and all?

On a side note I called my friend at the dealer and had him check the NEWEST 09 he had, and sure enough its routed DIFFERENT. It does NOT run behind the right fork, but in FRONT of it! I cant "confirm this" yet because I didnt see it myself, but I asked him to snap a pic and send it to me! Ill post it up here when I get it. I sounds to me like all us 08 owners, and prbably some 09's need to replace/reroute the cable! I know Jimmy Jam had stated that his cable is really short so this must be a new part# cable too. Although mine is pretty long and "could be" rerouted, well if it wasnt chewed up!:rolleyes:

First pic is where its rubbing, second is the crack/rubbing flipped over. Sorry again for the pic quality!

Attachments

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
went and looked again, it seems to be a perfect square indent? It doesnt go through the outer plastic though? No idea WHY its there???

I also talked to my friend at the dealer again and he said to bring it up in the morning and they would get the new cable on order!:D Ill be sure to get a pic of this new routing he mentioned on the 09's while im there. I dont think im going to let the dealer install this new cable though, Ill probably just bring it home and do it myself. I still cant believe it is worn through so fast? I hope mine is just a fluke and there arent a bunch like this!

· Registered
843 Posts
Exactly... whew! I'm not the only one... covered it anyway with a few layers of electrical tape just in case... As far as the cable position, I can see this happening in the near future! Damn! it does rub against the frame! So far no damage but I can definitely see it happening!

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does yours route the same as mine? When he told me the new 09 he had went around the front of the fork and not behind all I thought about was how many of these must have gotten messed up if they already changed them a year latter?:(

Sorry cole I was editing my last post to include it, but YES its covered! Like I said I have 1200mi! They were totaly cool about it. I do have a friend there tho.

· Registered
843 Posts
My route is the same... Do you think if I wrap that section with a good couple of layers of electrical tape, it might help till I get it re-routed? The dealership is sooo freakin' far away and I'm going to have to find time for this fix!

· Registered
843 Posts
OK... For those who haven't experienced any wear YET.... Layer the cable with electrical tape on the indent and where the cable rubs against the frame as a precautionary measure until you are able to re-route it! It is definitely a long term fix until you decide to replace or re-route. I would definitely need replacement as the cable is not that long enough to re-route. Luckily mine only has about 800 miles on it and absolutely no sign of wear but should it happen, I'll at least be able to notice it before it actually goes anywhere near the actual cable!:wink:

· Registered
2,902 Posts
Yeah I looked at mine and It looks fine just a little bit rough feeling no signs of the cable cover wearing through or anything like that... but where it hits the frame and ram air intake area, I put some gorrila tape on it just for added protection.. no worries now..

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No problem guys! Just trying to help out a little!;) Lord knows you guys have helped me! I didnt get to go to the dealer today as planned (Fam over) But Im off monday, so Ill go then for sure! I will def get pics of the 09 reroute if it is different! Maybe the cable isnt a new part #? My cable "could" be routed the other way its long enough I think? When they order me a new one Ill try to reroute it. If it does fit ill do a how to!;)

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well its raining like hell here so I cant take the bike up (I "could" but no rain gear!) Im going to drive up and see if they will just order it without "seeing it"? If nothing else ill get a pic of that 09 if its different! Im just happy that you guys are catching this NOW and not after the cable get chewed into! That would BLOW to be out riding and all the sudden NO CLUTCH!?!?:eyecrazy: Im going to tape the new one just in case too!

· Registered
1,689 Posts
I took mine to the dealership today. The service tech. felt like Kawi. would cover the cable under warranty, but couldn't say for sure until he hears back from them.

Luckily, I seen this post. I only have a couple of weeks until my warranty expires! Extended warranty will not cover cables.

I did have a chance to look at 3 different 09's they are all routed the same way (behind the fork). So are the R1's, Gixxers, and CBR's. The R1 and GSXR 1k both had decent brackets that hold the clutch cable. The Honda's cable runs just like the 10, but the 10 has a much wider neck for the ram air.

I don't think it's a good idea to run the cable in front of the fork, but I'm definately going to "modify" mine.

· Registered
4,605 Posts
Exactly... whew! I'm not the only one... covered it anyway with a few layers of electrical tape just in case... As far as the cable position, I can see this happening in the near future! Damn! it does rub against the frame! So far no damage but I can definitely see it happening!
Electrical tap; I did the same thing and mine rubs too. I will keep an eye on this and bring the bike in at the end of the season to see if they will reroute the cable.

Good find...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.