Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like (from reading the specs) that for 08 Kawasaki just went back to the 04-05 10 and added traction control. I mean the numbers are similar in just about every way..(someone correct me if I'm wrong). They even look a little bit similar. So, I'm thinking..for my next bike, why not just get a 04 10 and save 4k$$$. With that said, I need some help from people who have ridden the 04 or 08 ten and the 06 GSXR 1k. Which do you guys think is the better bike between these three for street and performance (weekend warrior)? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It seems like (from reading the specs) that for 08 Kawasaki just went back to the 04-05 10 and added traction control. I mean the numbers are similar in just about every way..(someone correct me if I'm wrong). They even look a little bit similar. So, I'm thinking..for my next bike, why not just get a 04 10 and save 4k$$$. With that said, I need some help from people who have ridden the 04 or 08 ten and the 06 GSXR 1k. Which do you guys think is the better bike between these three for street and performance (weekend warrior)? Thanks in advance.

same day same track same rider the 08 is quicker, for street it really doesnt matter all have more performance then can be used on street.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you say this? What makes the 08 quicker than the 04-05?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not sure about the similarities between 04/08 10. But when i was looking into buying a literbike earlier this year, i almost bought a leftover 06 GSXR 1k (So glad i didn't). A friend of mine who is a die hard GSXR fan, told me not to. His explanation was that in 07 they came out with the engine management system, where you can actually adjust the power to the rear wheel to compare to that of a 750 or a 600. So if you feel like wasting your money on a suzuki go with an 07+. But i would reccomend the 10 over the 1k any day.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I have owned an 05 zx-10r and I currently own a 07 gsxr 1000k. You are going to get 99% biased opionions on this board about which is better. If you go to gixxer forum you will get a 99% biased opionion over there. Here is my review of them both and I will even throw in my 05 R1 that I owned as well.

05-zx-10r. It was titanium in color and imho the best color. It hides dirt well and doesn't show scratches. The brakes to me were not that bad until I rode my R1 and realized that the kawi brakes suck goat balls. I had stock gearing on the bike and all i ride are mountains and twisties. The bike had great low to mid range power. Where we ride you dont use the top end but I would assume that it had great top end as well. It took a while to get use to the seating postion and to get the suspension dialed in. I never got to do any upgrades because I totaled it about 4 months and 5K miles on it.

05-R1. Bike was Red and was damn sexy. Real comfortable to ride. Brakes are A+++++. Did lack low end power but once you got above 6 or 7 grand she was moving. I kind of rode it like a 600 in the mountains and stayed a gear lower so I could keep the rpm's up to stay in the power. On the race track this bike was so much fun to ride. It handled so well and had good top end. the only thing i didnt' like was in town my right ass check would get hot due to the exhaust. And it also didnt' have a slipper clutch which i got use to on the kawi. I would def. buy another R1 in a heart beat.

07-gsxr 1000 - Got this bike as a leftover for $8500 otd with a leo carbon single slip-on. This bike turns and handles like a 600. Its the easiest litre bike i have rode to ride fast. Brakes remind me of the kawi, they suck. I even have stainless lines and vesrah rjl pads and it still sucks. I am buying the r1 brake set-up and installing it on my bike. Power is awesome. Any gear any rpm if you hammer down she is off. I have done 4 trackdays on this bike and it is by far the best bike i have ridden on the track. this year its going to be a full trackbike and i love it. the way the new bikes are priced i can't see myself getting rid of it. I have a single sided exhaust so it looks better than stock, handles awesome, comfortable, and i would def. recommend it. Slipper clutch works awesome as well. also before i moved nc, now i am not a drag racer, but a guy i rode with bought a new 08 10 after he sold his 07 gsxr 1000. we did a roll on in 2nd and i walked away. did another one in 3rd walked away. did another one in 6th and i beat him by about 8 bike lenghts. we had the same mods and he has been riding for over 35 years. trust me he knows how to ride. dont know if he had a lemon or what but i rode his 08 and my 05 10 would have kicked the shit out of that bike any day of the week. hope this helps and i was giving you an honest opinion the whole time and trying not to be biased.

now let the flaming begin :helmet:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Go to the track as a fan road racing or drag racing. Pick the one you like!! Looks mean a lot to me, but performance means more. I am as straight as it comes. If you want speed buy Kawi or Sukz. If you want the most reliable bikes then buy Honda or Kawi. Yams just look very good. They just do not perform, Hondas are in this class as well (slow). The question is what are you looking for street riding or track days. It is on you??

·
Registered
881 Posts
Like Luck, I have ridden all that is out there and I must say, it all depends on how you plan to ride it.

I love Yami's for their brakes, top end and great stock suspension. While I hate the soggy low end, cooked but cheeks, pricey aftermarkey upgrades and the deals you find on Kawi's, dat shit is out the window with a R1.

Zuks are a pretty much all around good bikes, I never had a problem with the brakes after I went steel braided. I always loved the slim cut they had goin on with the inseam seating area. This made for a comfortable ride and it was quite easy to move around on the bike at speed o back roads. Finding good deals on these are pretty far fetched as well.

Hondas are the bulletproof members of the group. You ca dog the shit out of a Honda and it will stand the test of time. Reliability comes at a price of h.p. and bulky weight though. You draw your own conclusion there. Even though heavy, they are suprisingly stable and handle quite well in the twisties, roll ons and Drag race will leave a bit to be desired.

As for my beloved Green Destiny(04 ZX-10R), I have seen nothing that touches her when it comes to power. She is always pulling from start to finish. Reliability is quite good provided you buy one from a person who took care of it. Now the supension, if you are 185+ lbs, sucks ass. Before I changed the spings in the forks and on the shock and had it dialed in by an expert she handled like a brick. Now she is on point. The brakes do get rather spongey after an extended time of hard breaking. But the addition if Galfers fixed that no problem.

Bottom line, unless you do alot of track days, you'll never use the full power of a 1000 so the power comparison is useless. I will boil down to what you think is the most attractive, most efficient, most affordable and most comfortable.

Hope this helps. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure about the similarities between 04/08 10. But when i was looking into buying a literbike earlier this year, i almost bought a leftover 06 GSXR 1k (So glad i didn't). A friend of mine who is a die hard GSXR fan, told me not to. His explanation was that in 07 they came out with the engine management system, where you can actually adjust the power to the rear wheel to compare to that of a 750 or a 600. So if you feel like wasting your money on a suzuki go with an 07+. But i would reccomend the 10 over the 1k any day.

Yeah, the only issue with that is...I'm not a fan of too many of the electronic gadgets that alter the engine performance..and when I heard about this "engine management system"..i wondered what would happen if this system went out? Would you be stuck with a 600 or a 750...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go to the track as a fan road racing or drag racing. Pick the one you like!! Looks mean a lot to me, but performance means more. I am as straight as it comes. If you want speed buy Kawi or Sukz. If you want the most reliable bikes then buy Honda or Kawi. Yams just look very good. They just do not perform, Hondas are in this class as well (slow). The question is what are you looking for street riding or track days. It is on you??
Street riding now. When riding with buddies..I don't want to get swallowed alive b/c I'm on a 04 ten. However, the 04 ten and the 08 ten seem somewhat similar IMO. Never ridden either..but by looking at the stats, I think witha few mods..the 04 would definately be a contender for the 08.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like Luck, I have ridden all that is out there and I must say, it all depends on how you plan to ride it.

I love Yami's for their brakes, top end and great stock suspension. While I hate the soggy low end, cooked but cheeks, pricey aftermarkey upgrades and the deals you find on Kawi's, dat shit is out the window with a R1.

Zuks are a pretty much all around good bikes, I never had a problem with the brakes after I went steel braided. I always loved the slim cut they had goin on with the inseam seating area. This made for a comfortable ride and it was quite easy to move around on the bike at speed o back roads. Finding good deals on these are pretty far fetched as well.

Hondas are the bulletproof members of the group. You ca dog the shit out of a Honda and it will stand the test of time. Reliability comes at a price of h.p. and bulky weight though. You draw your own conclusion there. Even though heavy, they are suprisingly stable and handle quite well in the twisties, roll ons and Drag race will leave a bit to be desired.

As for my beloved Green Destiny(04 ZX-10R), I have seen nothing that touches her when it comes to power. She is always pulling from start to finish. Reliability is quite good provided you buy one from a person who took care of it. Now the supension, if you are 185+ lbs, sucks ass. Before I changed the spings in the forks and on the shock and had it dialed in by an expert she handled like a brick. Now she is on point. The brakes do get rather spongey after an extended time of hard breaking. But the addition if Galfers fixed that no problem.

Bottom line, unless you do alot of track days, you'll never use the full power of a 1000 so the power comparison is useless. I will boil down to what you think is the most attractive, most efficient, most affordable and most comfortable.

Thanks...that definitely helps. I'm just wondering if the 04 ten will keep up with the 08 (up top) with some mods. I mean, I ride mostly street...and a few roll ons to the top. What is the end of the line with your 04 ten. 175??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

thanks

I plan to ride it mostly street. However I don't want to be out there getting smoked while riding with my buddies either. Mid range and top end are important to me, and it just seems like the 04 ten would with a few mods keep up with the 08 ten.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
all of the new litre bikes are pretty damn close as far as top end speed. the 04 will keep up. As far as the ems on the suzuki i have switched mine on my 1k to the b mode when i run the patriot course at vir and i have never had a problem with it switching back and forth. i am not sure why they put this on the 600 model but it does work fine.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
:+1: lucky I like the sig my thoughts exactly :thumbsup:
thanks :eek:ccasion1 as far as top speed runs from what i have read it comes down to weight and aero and who shifts better

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:eek:ccasion1 Thanks for all the input bros. I like both bikes..04 and the 08. My last bike was a Black 06 ten, but I had to sell it to pay for some bills at school. Now I do nothing but drive my car everywhere...and this absolutely SUCKS!!! Feels like a prison on 4 wheels..

Again, the opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have never ridden a Gsxr but I do have an 04 and an 08 ten.

04-10, There is a reason why all the magazines raved about the motor being a beast and its true. If you are rough with the throttle you will see how easy the front wheel comes off the ground. Low and mid range are definately there, top end isnt lacking either. I have had the bike up to 182 or so with a non corrected speedo. There are very few bikes that can flat out leave this bike behind so you dont have to worry about that. The brakes do suck. I knew they were bad but it became even more evident after riding my 08 (awesome brakes) and then going back to an 04. This is even with the zx14 calipers, they improve it but the 08 brakes are still better. The mirror suck unless your a little guy, the only thing I can see are my shoulders pretty much without some wiggling going on. This bikes needs a dampner, make sure you have one. Great bike I havent had any problems with mine.

08-10r. Some people think that compared to the 04 this bike is slower, that is definately not the case the 08 is faster, and its even easier to see once you get a pipe and PC/Bazzaz on it. The delivery of the power is smoother and I think the bike is geared different so I found that I couldnt ride in the same gear I woulld on my 04 and expect similiar results. Im usually in a lower gear than I was on my 04. Mirrors improved visiablity, brakes really good, comes with a dampner, tranmission is smoother than the 04, (sometimes the 04 seems to miss the shift from 1-2 and goes into neutral. Doesnt happen alot but it does happen.) This bike has the KIMS, I dont think I have ever used it but hell its nice to know its there if I ever need it.

This post is getting too long if you want to know anything specific just ask.
Both 10rs are great bikes, I have never ridden a Gsxr but I have never been left by a Gsxr either so I assume they are similar in power to the 10.

Hope this extreemly long post helps

Ken

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have never ridden a Gsxr but I do have an 04 and an 08 ten.

04-10, There is a reason why all the magazines raved about the motor being a beast and its true. If you are rough with the throttle you will see how easy the front wheel comes off the ground. Low and mid range are definately there, top end isnt lacking either. I have had the bike up to 182 or so with a non corrected speedo. There are very few bikes that can flat out leave this bike behind so you dont have to worry about that. The brakes do suck. I knew they were bad but it became even more evident after riding my 08 (awesome brakes) and then going back to an 04. This is even with the zx14 calipers, they improve it but the 08 brakes are still better. The mirror suck unless your a little guy, the only thing I can see are my shoulders pretty much without some wiggling going on. This bikes needs a dampner, make sure you have one. Great bike I havent had any problems with mine.

08-10r. Some people think that compared to the 04 this bike is slower, that is definately not the case the 08 is faster, and its even easier to see once you get a pipe and PC/Bazzaz on it. The delivery of the power is smoother and I think the bike is geared different so I found that I couldnt ride in the same gear I woulld on my 04 and expect similiar results. Im usually in a lower gear than I was on my 04. Mirrors improved visiablity, brakes really good, comes with a dampner, tranmission is smoother than the 04, (sometimes the 04 seems to miss the shift from 1-2 and goes into neutral. Doesnt happen alot but it does happen.) This bike has the KIMS, I dont think I have ever used it but hell its nice to know its there if I ever need it.

This post is getting too long if you want to know anything specific just ask.
Both 10rs are great bikes, I have never ridden a Gsxr but I have never been left by a Gsxr either so I assume they are similar in power to the 10.

Hope this extreemly long post helps

Ken
Definitely helped. I enjoy the long informative posts. Thanks Bro. I can see how this would be a popular opinion...as it relates to the power delivery. So it's not that the 08 is slower...it just that the 04 is more abrupt in it's power delivery? Also, have you topped your 08 ten out...and if so, what numbers did you see?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yep, the 04 is definately more abrupt with the power delivery. Ive only had the 08 to around 150 not because of lack of power, but because Im in AL and I just dont trust the roads as much as I did in NJ. Also in NJ I rode with my cousin alot who is a cop so in the event I did get pulled over I am less likely to get thrown in jail in NJ. Out here in AL I dont think my PBA card and family name recognition would save me from the slammer. I Also have only put about 3500 miles on my 08 and Ive put 14K on my 04. Just to be clear the 08 had plenty more to give but I just didnt push it any further yet.

Ken

1 - 20 of 46 Posts