Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

07 ZX10R vs 08 ZX10R (which to buy)

34K views 97 replies 61 participants last post by  dirt ninja 
#1 ·
Im new to the site so wassup to all. I am currently looking into getting a 07 or an 08. If you can tell me the biggest diferences in the 02 it would be great,
I want a bike that is good on the streets but would also like to do some 1/4 mile runs at the track. The 07 is already set up for the track (lowered, air shifter) both bikes look great but I really would appreciate any advice and or comparisons as all I know about Kawi is what i have read on here over the last week or so. Thanks again for any input.

#3 ·
Go with an 08 for a couple reasons. 1 it's faster period, 2 it's more recent so there should be more parts available, 3 if you get an exhaust it's going to be cheaper. I mean either way you aren't gonna go wrong. Go with which ever you like better. I'm personally not andante of the 2 gen. I used to really like it's looks but that died long ago. But that's just me.

#11 ·
Looks are what you make them, I personally think my 06 looks better than ANY Third gen on the site.

And another thing, I have not seen any significant proof that the 08-09 bikes make more power than the 06-07 every dyno I have seen for the 06-09 bikes are all around the same. Comparing dyno numbers from different dynos on differnt days, in differnt parts of the world over the internet is pretty pointless IMHO anyway.

#6 ·
While we could go into a long storied debate about the differences between the two bike. Things like brakes, suspension, etc. It all really boils down to one fine point. Name the last time a Kawasaki was on top of a major race podium and you will find the answer you are looking for.......

Chris Walker Assen 2006 on board a GEN II ZX10R

SUCK IT GEN III **** :)

Attachments

#74 ·
As is widely known, different from other racing disciplines like Formula 1, motorcycle racing is more about the rider, then the machine.

If you put Valentino Rossi on a Kawasaki, there would be no difference in the MotoGP leader's standings. Mediocre riders always finish outside the top 10, while the stars of MotoGP finish on the podium no matter what bike or manufacturer they are associated with.

#16 · (Edited)
Sorry guys i got to say it but the Gen 1 really does top both Gen 2 and 3's.

Attachments

#17 ·
I have 2 gen ones and they are the sickest, fastest, and lightest of the bunch. Sorry gen 1 wins.

#18 ·
I think this is the first Gen war thread of 2010
Congratulations!!! :wav:
:wav:
:deadhorse:zx_green:
:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:crackup:

#20 ·
#25 ·
Aww hell, screw the 2nd Gen, get a 3rd or 1st Gen. :badteeth: Kidding. Seriously though dude, go see if you can ride'em both and base your decision on which feels best and or which one already has most of the mods you plan to put on her. Getting EITHER will not be a bad decision...unless of course the bike has already been trashed by the current/previous owner and has some mechanical gremlins lurking about.

AFMEDIC

#26 ·
If money is more important, then check how much the extra mods of gen2 are if you would buy it for the gen3.

If outright speed is more important, same mods, the gen3 is your safest bet. The thing is that not too many addons have been released for it yet. Hope this crisis goes away quickly for everyone in the world...

You can't go wrong with either one, believe me.

I also want to contribute to the gen wars of course, since i have all 3, so just a comment: same half-hour, same dyno, same engine mods, all gens...gen3 makes more power period. We need to understand it and move on.

The pinnacle of Kawi engineering was the gen1 engine. It's best evolution to date is the gen3. Handling has improved alot too. Just to set the record straight...Infact Kawi and Honda and the only ones who produced better models than their previous ones for 08-09, funny...:thumbsup:

#28 ·
The pinnacle of Kawi engineering was the gen1 engine. It's best evolution to date is the gen3. Handling has improved alot too. Just to set the record straight...Infact Kawi and Honda and the only ones who produced better models than their previous ones for 08-09, funny...:thumbsup:
That's the truth with some cheese on it.... :thumbsup:

Gen 1 was the quantum leap, but let's not trick ourselves into thinking significant improvements weren't made since then.

P.S. Regardless of performance...I still think Gen 1's look the best. heh heh heh

#29 ·
Unfortunately not that day, it was just a pass on each one, but i've got the independant ones when i tuned them (no good for this comparison-posted them here somewhere). The tuners wanted to see what's going on with the gen3 engine, so they called me, i went there and we had a fun day!!! In fact quite some zx10r's were sold on the island after that tune.

The best i got out of them so far: gen1=164, gen2=165, gen3 174. (full Akra,BMC race, PC3).

#31 ·
IMO, Gen 2 has the best motor to date. Max power is one thing but what about the area under the curve. Gen 3 is neutered below 6k and is relatively soft compared to previous models between 6k-8k. The area where most civilized street riding takes place. It's all in the cam timing. Gen 1 and Gen 2 share the same cam profiles. Attempts were made with Gen 2 to increase midrange power while providing a more linear and thus more manageable power delivery. Whereas, the Gen 3 exhaust cam timing has been slightly retarded essentially moving power higher in the rpm range. Above 10k, top end power is incredible but the resulting lost of midrange power could not be masked by shorter ratios for first, fourth, and fifth gear and a one-tooth-larger rear sprocket to drop the overall final-drive ratio even further attempting to keep the Gen 3 midrange acceleration from suffering too much.

#33 ·
I moved from a 2001 ZX9 to an 08 ZX10. I was making the same decision as you. I was looking for the best handling Ninja. I was told by who have ridden both on the track that the 08 handled a lot better for them than Gen 2. This may not matter since you want to drag race.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.