Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have joined the forums because My technical knowledge is not very great at this time. So let me start. I bought a gen 2 just last week. or rather 2 weeks ago. I test rode it before I bought it felt Great had no issues. After all the registration nonsense and work work work. I finally get to actually take it on a decent ride with a couple buddies. So first problem I have is that When I'm at 10k rpm or higher my rpm drops to 6k? 7k? then it will just jump right back up. Everyone says it could be electrical or fuel. I only ever put 93 in it and filled it about 4 times so far so it can't possibly be fuel? Maybe sparks? Or I bad harness? I'm not sure i've been speculating and i can't seem to think of anything at the moment and hoping someone can have some suggestions for me

Before i Bought it i test rode it for 45 minutes to an hour.
Also bought it for 2200$ so i was kind of expecting some issues to occur

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey, could be anything from a tilt sensor to the fuel pump or faulty coil pack or even a loose connection on the battery terminals.

Your just gonna have to sit down with her and have a quite word fault finding. Your other half is going to be a multimeter over the weekend.

P.s if you have a pc3 or 5 disconnect it and return her to stock as a base run. If the problem persists that's one eliminated.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man thanks for the reply. Battery terminals are snug and clean. Not corroded I'm gonna try replacing the tilt sensor first. Then I'll try coils next. I had a possible feeling of the fuel pump going too since it is the factory pump and the bike was ridden hard by previous owner since it was only for track. So I probably should replace everything you said was possibly was wrong just to be safe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can open up the the tilt sensor just stick abit tape on the gromet to keep it upright.

Am guessing fuel pump or coil pack. Yet at the same time am hoping it's not the inlet retainer valves. Any blue or black some out the exhaust could be pointing to oil rings.

Check bleader pipes for the air box area could be another cause.

Also what the milage on her head hunting at valve clearance.

The possibility are endless might even be the clutch adjustment if it skips at too end rpm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*top end rpm.
27,995 Miles. RPM does not skip either just drops.

Haven't gotten around to valve clearance yet. It does have a hard time starting sometimes. Like the symptoms of a low battery but the battery was charged and tested, came out to 12.7v and was stress tested and came out normal. At this I'm going to start with the spark plugs because I don't know how many miles are on them So while i'm at it i'll go ahead and get new coils too see if that works. I've just changed the oil 3 days ago. I'm looking to resolve potential issues before I take it on a 1500 mile round trip this summer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clutch isn't slipping either no sudden spike in engine speed. just drops for for about half a second to just a second and goes right back up.

·
Registered
254 Posts
if the rpm drop is fairly smooth, not misfiring/breaking up, u have a fueling problem. check kickstand switch which can cut fuel, but first place i would go is fuel pump. they can become erratic when failing.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
My money is on the fuel pump too.
See if you can find the service manual and it'll give you the steps to test the fuel pump to determine if it's failing or not. Be sure to post back up once you find the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I'll be starting with the fuel pump then. If I get a chance next weekend I'll see if I can test it. I found a PDF for the service manual and I will go over it tonight

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay gentlemen. The problem has been fixed. It was the pump after all. I got to it two weekends ago and took it out last weekend when it got up to 68F here in jersey rode for a good 6 hours and no issues. Only remaining problem is that it sometimes it refuses to shift up but I'll look into that later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts