Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of a hot 45 minute ride yesterday my zx-10 cut off after I came to a stop. At first I thought that it was just because the bike was heated. After a few minutes I tried to start it again and nothing. A friend that happened along gave me a jump and it started but did not stay on for long before shutting off again. After pushing it about 100 yards, Another friend put a charger on it for about 2 hours. It ran fine after that for about 15 minutes. Then all of my lights went out. The bike continued to run but no lights, no instrument panel...nothing was lit up. Also, when ever I tried to use my turn signals the bike would feel like it was loosing power. Any clue on what this could be....and what it may cost to get repaired???

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
sounds like an alternator/generator failure. It will run for a short time after a just start because it is running off the battery. I don't know the figures for a motorcycle but Nissan cars have to have 10.7 volts to operate the ECU or it will instantly die.

·
Registered
839 Posts
sounds like an alternator/generator failure. It will run for a short time after a just start because it is running off the battery. I don't know the figures for a motorcycle but Nissan cars have to have 10.7 volts to operate the ECU or it will instantly die.
:+1::iamwithst sounds like its not producing power to charge the battery no power = no run

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
sounds like an alternator/generator failure. It will run for a short time after a just start because it is running off the battery. I don't know the figures for a motorcycle but nissan cars have to have 10.7 volts to operate the ecu or it will instantly die.
:+2:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Man, before the alternator... is the battery itself. Have you checked it?
Yeah, I've seen what looks to be the regulator/alternator seem bad, but it ended up being just the battery. Take the battery out and have it tested, if that's free somewhere close.

But yeah deffinetely battery or regulator.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Check your battery for this meassurements:

- Meassure with a digital voltimeter the battery terminal voltage, it should be in 12.8V
- Meassure the same way with the engine started and RPMs at 4.000; you shold read 14.2V to 15.2V

:wink:

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
lol i would say the same damn thing but looks like u guys covered it. I had that and it was a battery... changed it ran fine. (my old bike)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I know with cars, if it is running and unplug the battery the car will run off the alternator if it is good. If it dies, the alternator is shot. Might work on a bike to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
658 Posts
well, I had the same problem, I changed the stator and voltage regulator/rectifier to be sure, susually when the stator/generator goes bad it takes voltage regulator down with it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts