Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok today i bolted up an 07 arm on my 05 10r, well it bolts up perfectly every thing matches perfect , ok just have to use the 07 rearbrake bracket , every thing else is good

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its a little shorter i think because had to remove 1 link from chain so i gues it has a shorter wheel base now , but i have it just for looks , have a new arm on the way .

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey you might want to put the support bracket on. it goes where the 06 pipes ran up to the back through the swingarm. its pretty thick plate so you might need it just for rigidity. looks sweet though

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok about the plate , have to cut it because it hits on the exhaust where the valve is , so thats something that has to be done :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Though it looks great I think you may run into some performance issues with it.

Even though the Gen1 and Gen2 frame look nearly identical from the outside they are quite different on the inside. Braces to stiffen some areas and lack of braces to add flex have been relocated from model to model. This all also comes into play with all chasis components to include the swingarm and suspension components.

Now granted the affects may not be enough that the average street rider could even pick up on them; or they may cause you some goofey ride characteristics.

Just keep note that with your swap out you may never get your front and or rear suspension to work smooth; as one affects the other. A one inch shorter wheelbase is a pretty big change also.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
would it not alter the way that the bike handles as I thought that the 07 model like the 06 had a different swingarm pivot position. I am sure that it had been moved higher up as to aid in the stability but hey if it bolts in and yuo haven't noticed any difference then all is great . Well done as it looks the business

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we dont dont have closed track here or any thing like that ,so i dont really worry about twisties, we just have drag strips , so i just did this because i like this arm better . my chromolyarm and sidewinder is on the way ,then install my cams , heavy duty springs and gasket , some headwork, ok about the swap the ridding height is the same no dif in height
and the dogbones everything line up perfectly and smooth,

Attachments

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
IF that arm was only lighter then the 04-05 arm it would be have been on my bike to. I dont know why there were claims of a light swingarm???? I dont know really but the 04-05 arm is about a pound lighter but I do like the looks of this 06 arm a lil....

good luck!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wonder if the '08 will fit my '05? Then my 10 would be complete. The '08 is bad azz. Anyone have a wrecked '08 they are parting out? I'm patiently waiting.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would have thought the '04 arm would be better. With the '06 they had to add the torsion plate on the side as the exhaust pipe took up a chunk of space that would normally be held by the arm to do its job. Plus, you've not gone 1" shorter on a drag bike, when I thought the whole idea was to get a nice long wheelbase.

Anyhoo, yeah, it looks ok, if you're into the '06 swing arm etc, but running it without the plate might be a bit suss.

·
Registered
139 Posts
To those people who think that plate on the side will make any difference to 'rigidity', have another look at it and ask yourself again :headshake

·
Registered
614 Posts
To those people who think that plate on the side will make any difference to 'rigidity', have another look at it and ask yourself again :headshake
Well, I put it to you, prove how it isn't related at all to rigidity in the swing arm. It's a reasonably thick plate, and it's made from steel, not Aluminium (I'm Australian, so I'll spell it our way!), so it's not for show. It has three mounting points, two on the rear of the arm, one at the front.

So the bike is in a RHS corner, you're leant right over, the swingarm would want to deflect away from the bike towards the LHS of the bike. Don't you think that plate would reduce the swingarm flex when it is put in tension? Equally so, as it has a nice bend in the plate itself, it is now less prone to deflection, hence it will handle reasonable compression (and also due to it's thickness).

Anyway, keep going .. there are plenty of other force models where it would help. So ... how it this piece of steel totally redundant?

·
Registered
614 Posts
The Kawasaki part description is "REINFORCE,F.S.BLACK"

·
Registered
139 Posts
Think about it man if its got that much tension on it dont you think the rear tyre would break traction before it would 'deflect' first? It is cosmetic like the stuff chicks have in their handbags

·
Registered
614 Posts
That's the thing, I am thinking about it, but I'm not sure you are. The first instance I came up with previously would be when the tyre is in compression, so it's not going to break traction. So far you still haven't come up with a decent reason why it hasn't got anything to do with stifness or torsional rigidity in the swingarm.

If it was cosmetic it would be quite a different construction than what it is.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts