Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my bikes been running pretty hot when coming to a stop and in traffic and such. It's got about 9k miles on it now, and has always been very predictable as far as temperature. I can cruise on the highway about 160-180 degrees, in 80-90 degree temp.. When I come to a stop or hit rush hour, it'd never go over 190 or even 200.. Or if it did, it'd hit 204<fan?> then drop immediately back down. A few weeks ago, it was about 85 outside, just riding home from work, hit traffic and boom, hit 204, 208, started raising really quick up to 216. I've *never* seen my bike hit 216.. I know it's still not really high, but it's just unusual. Any idea what could have caused this? Is this normal operating temps for an 07? Now its common for it to shoot well over 204, 206, 215, etc. I haven't flushed the coolant yet, but am going to when I get time. I did make the mistake of putting water wetter in last year, wondering if that could have caused anything. It's just real weird it wasn't a gradual thing, it was just one day it jumped to 216 and now does it all the time when idling in traffic or rush hour.... ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My 07 reads the same thing....I hit 216 as well the other day in traffic.......but here the temp was 104 with a heat index of 115 so that was probly my contributing factor

·
Registered
598 Posts
Mine hits 220 sometimes in traffic and I have had no problems or overheating. The fan always cools it back down. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
65 Posts
honestly that isnt that bad still but there its possible your thermostat could be goin bad......i would try draining your radiator first and using some engine ice and c if that makes a difference

·
Registered
405 Posts
So I recently started noticing my gen1 running hotter than it used to. Last year it really wouldn't pass 212, even on a really hot day in stopped traffic. This year I've been hitting 225 regularly. On main difference is that I did a couple multi-day trips in the spring in WV where there were tons of pebbles still on the roads. My bike really took a beating from following other bikes and catching the pebbles their tires threw up. The outer portions of my radiator are all smashed up, in fact. I have a feeling that the fans are not pulling as much air through the radiator as before. I am planning to try and flatten out the gills sometime, but I need to go in from behind, not from the front. It's going to be an all day affair, and I just haven't had that kind of time yet.

The point I'm trying to make is that you may have some air flow restrictions developing at your radiator that you may want to investigate. I think it's not a bad idea to drain and flush the system too. I'm planning to do that in the next couple of weeks, as it's been over a year on what's in there now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, thanks for the replies. I'll check the radiator out closer too later when I get home. I didn't think it was much to worry about, just really odd how all of a sudden temps are 10+ hotter than usual.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
So I recently started noticing my gen1 running hotter than it used to. Last year it really wouldn't pass 212, even on a really hot day in stopped traffic. This year I've been hitting 225 regularly. On main difference is that I did a couple multi-day trips in the spring in WV where there were tons of pebbles still on the roads. My bike really took a beating from following other bikes and catching the pebbles their tires threw up. The outer portions of my radiator are all smashed up, in fact. I have a feeling that the fans are not pulling as much air through the radiator as before. I am planning to try and flatten out the gills sometime, but I need to go in from behind, not from the front. It's going to be an all day affair, and I just haven't had that kind of time yet.

The point I'm trying to make is that you may have some air flow restrictions developing at your radiator that you may want to investigate. I think it's not a bad idea to drain and flush the system too. I'm planning to do that in the next couple of weeks, as it's been over a year on what's in there now.
I believe you can buy a special comb to help straighten the fins. I installed a manual fan switch for when I get stuck in treffic, and that has kept it from climbing above 205*.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks, I'm going to look for the comb. Also on the to-do list is the manual fan switch because I recently took another job, and my commute is now down into DC. I get stuck at a lot of red lights now.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I usually turn the fan on once it gets near 180*, and that tends to keep it under 200* when stuck in parking lot traffic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here in NH the nearest working traffic light from my house is 25 miles, on the hottest day my temp in traffic if i come across any* will be 210. another thing to check is you valve cover gasket, the heat breaks down the gasket makes it hard and tends to leak mostly on the left side, i am in the process of doing mine

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
^Mine was leaking when I 1st got the bike so I kept a n eye on it and cleaned up the drips every time I filled up. Strangely after 10k miles the leak has stopped.:dontknow: Glad I never wasted time changing it. A couple guys have spoke of putting a washer under the bolt on the left side to help squeeze the gasket.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A washer! nice man, its been 7 days and i haven't got my gasket in yet.. and i hear bikes riding by, i might just use a washer, or put some sealant on the gasket and put the cover back on, How successful was the washer method??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts