Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I need some help guys. I just bought a used 06 zx10r after totaling my r1 w about 9000 miles on it. Great bike BTW but just last week the engine cut off on me flashing the oil light. Coasted down and started the bike back up but it wouldn't shift down into gear. After trying for about 15 minutes it shifted and I rode it home. Got home and first thing I checked was the oil level and it was fine. Started it up. Clicks into 1st , neutral, but 2nd and up it won't budge. I don't even know where to start on diagnosing the problem. Can anyone please give me some possible fixes or starter points? Thank you!

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,392 Posts
Positive Neutral Finder (PNF). All Kawasaki transmissions since the mid-80s have this feature. The tranny is designed not to shift into any gear other than 1st or Neutral unless the bike is moving forward. It's not a problem and fine, unless you damaged something trying to force it into gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's the problem, the first time it happened it was stuck in 4th gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the input and you taught me somthing. I didn't know that coming from owning an r1 and.a gsxr. I will look into it and hopefully its not damaged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I put it all back on and it shifts fine but it still doesn't fix my initial problem leading to this. The bike randomly cutting off and flashing oil red light. Oil level is fine. I'm starting to wonder if its the power commander causing this issue. I had a friend with an 07 gsxr that had similiar problems and it was the pwr commander being damaged. I will do some research on how to diagnose the pwr commander next.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts