Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
06 zx10 8000/8500 rpm miss/surge???? """FIXED"""

First off let me say hello to everyone, Im new to this forum and new to my 06 10. Not my first bike by any means but new to the problem that I am having. She's a 2006 zx10 with 5700 miles stock with a k&n filter, I just came back from the dyno, and by the way she put down 161 to the wheel . During the pull there was a surge or miss right at 8000/8500rpm, didnt really think much of it but the next day I took it for a ride and in sixth when I pulled through the same range it did it again. Its done it now for a couple of days and im not sure what it is. I have on order the muzzy full system and I have the pc111 at home ready to install. Another time she did the same miss was when she was cold and I went to bring it up for a wheely and it did the hick-up on the way up, scared the crap out of me. Almost forgot, Im getting terrible gas mileage(for a tank full, the light comes in between 60/80miles and thats using 93pump), and everytime i stabb it she poors out black smoke. It does smell really rich and at idle she has turned off plenty of times. I have not checked the plugs yet, and the guy at the dyno said something about the fuel plug-wires could be crossed or something on the fuel rail. I did buy her used and things do look like they have been tinkered with. I do want to add that she worked fine except for the pooring of the black smoke before the dyno run. Please help me figure this out. I dont want to start dumping money if i dont know which way to go. I do love this bike though, she pulls like a train even with the rich state that she is in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
continued...

I wanted to add, that the bike does this miss when its cold or the first 2-5miles. And also the temp guage is reading really cold. after driving it for a while and the temp over here in central florida is about 90/95 outside, she still reads an average about 160-170, and when stuck in traffic-the hottest of about 190/200.
Does anyone know of any place thats really good for tunning or just good about these bikes here in clermont/orlando? I got my dyno run in at Full Spectrum in Longwood, he uses an old school dyno its called a Factory Pro Tuning EC997 eddy current dynamometer. Well please hit me up if any suggestions on either subjects, Thanks.:hello:

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Get your PC111 on and you will be able to trim it out probably, theres nothing wrong with a factory pro dyno either and with an eddy current dyno you can get a little more specific in the areas you want to tune.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Faf

Thanks for the input, Im planning to put in on today, but as far as why its running rich, why would you think its doing that? I forgot to mentioned that the baffels where taken out of the stock exhaust by the previous owner. Would that cause it? Just spoke with ups and my new system is comming in today as well:eek:ccasion1. I dont want to insatll it untill I get the other problem resolved, what do you think?

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Probably due to the baffles being pulled out.

I wouldnt bother trying to dial it out if you are putting on a full system anyway , you will have to start all over again.

The full system will probably make the bike too rich and will require the PC111 to be mapped , so wait until you have everything installed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Faf

Thanks again, I will install everything then start again. but, what really is bothering me is the huge miss that it has right between 8000/8500? And it happens when its cold. it happened during the dyno run while he was dailing in the rpm,s. Well I shouldnt say cold but when it has been sitting off for a while then going out and passing that rpm range. Its really wierd...

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
It may well be the secondary throttle butterflies opening and closing.

8000 RPM is where the engine really starts to make good power and the butterflies should be fully open under load , if the engine becomes unloaded it may well be trying to close them as airbox pressure changes.

Is it a misfire or just a lull in power ??

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
If you look at most of the Power Commander fuel maps they are adding a lot more fuel at 8000RPM and leaning out a lot in the lower RPM ranges.

·
Registered
166 Posts
What kind of air filter is that? I've heard of on a few other bikes running a racing air filter causes the bike to really richen up because of the extra air coming in and the computer recognizing it and dialing in more fuel. In doing so would cause a mis at any given rpm in your case 8k. Something to look into. And if the bike is cold you really shouldn't be on the gas too much. Let it warm up a little before starting a beating.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responces

I will definetly check the secondary butter flys. I failed to mention and also was brought to my attention that before I took it to the dyno, Some girl backed right into my bike And dropped it opposite of the kickstand. I was not home and the bike sat on its side for a good while untila cop came and picked it up and writting her up for a hit and run. Well my point being that after that, thats when I starting getting the miss which it is a sudden drop of power-like if you shut the fuel for a split second and turned it back on. About the filter, it did it with the stock one so I had the K&N here at home and I installed it and the result was the same.

I just recieved my Muzzy m10 full system and have the PC111 already, I will attemp to install them today. Im not sure what map I should use with the muzzy as there is nother related on dynojets web site for my exhaust system:dontknow:

Anyone have any ideas where to start before I could drive her to get a custum tune? I dont want to drive 40 miles or so on a lean or filthy rich state and damage her.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Try the Akrapovich full or evo system map , its a good baseline for a full system.

Whilst you are fitting up all your goodies check all your sensor connections and ground wires.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
They would normally throw a code if they arent functioning and from what you are describing it sounds more like an electrical issue causing other problems.

I would definately look around the airbox area for loose airbox sensors or plugs , if there is an issue with the butterflies opening under load you would have to run the bike on the dyno with the tank off to see them working.

Or it may be vibration related and you have a bad connection somewhere, it could be as simple as that .

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
There are a few sensors which are a little more prone to damage if the bike has had some impact, both throttle sensors (sub and main) and the inlet temperature sensor and of course the vehicle down sensor under your seat.

Normally all of these apart from the vehicle down sensor if it is intermittent would give you a fault code.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I had to go to work.
I just came from istalling my muzzy full system along with the K&n and the PC111 with the evo map. Looks like she is running good. I found wires that were stripped and the copper showing, rewired them and also a vacum line which is the last line on the right side cut off, I installed a new line to the right throttle boby. Also on the left throttle body there was a nipple that was off, so I plugged it up. I took her out last night for about two miles or so and she worked fine very crisp and responssive. Theres one thing though, the FI light is blinking on the dash and the red light on the right is also flashing. What are they?

When I did the exhaust I went ahead and pulled out the electronic box along with the wires which controled the oem exhaust valve. Was I sopposed to do that? there was to plugs that lead to that box, that are just laying there now.:dontknow:

Could I take it to the dealer and would they be abale to turn those lights off?

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
The only red light I can think of on that side is the oil pressure warning light.

Check your oil level firstly, if it is okay , you may well have another wire problem somewhere.

Does it blink randomly and at idle ??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I have to put the module back in and connect the wires, ok will do that. Yes the red light is blinking while the bike is on. I rode the bike and it stayed blinking through out the ride.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
As I said the only red light I can think of is the oil pressure light, but it wouldnt be a constant uniform blink , it would be more of a flicker.

It may well be that you have snagged the oil pressure switch wire when you installed the exhaust and it is going to ground.

Look at it carefully , you dont want to be riding it until you are certain you have good oil pressure.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
If the wires that you repaired are the same as listed below you may have a bad connection with the black wire (coming from 21) this would make your light go on and off.

wiring.JPG

1 - 20 of 71 Posts