Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was all pumped to check my valves this morning..everything was off and then I get to damn starter clutch to turn it over and get the job done. WTF !!! A damn star bolt on the starter clutch....crap. I peruse the manual and you can pull the cover off but it looks likes the the stupid bolt is round...SHIT !!!! Now I have to go get a star attachment for my rachet. Ok...what fricken size is it... anyone know ? I tried a 6mm allen and it's close...anyone know what size star wrench to use or another option to turn the damn motor over ? The old flick the starter isn't my first choice...

·
Registered
819 Posts
Its actually called a torques bolt. I had to use an impact driver to get mine out because chinaman put it in real real tight, I ended up replacing it with a regular bolt.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Its actually called a torques bolt. I had to use an impact driver to get mine out because chinaman put it in real real tight, I ended up replacing it with a regular bolt.:thumbsup:
It was probably a jap that did the work and not a chinaman.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
May I ask why you are even messing with the starter to turn the motor to check valves? Spend the $15.00 or whatever it is and get the gasket for the crankshaft timing cover, remove the cover, and use the crank bolt to turn the motor. Heck it even has timing marks to make things easy when checking valves.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Read the service manual ... it kind of helps. Chances are you won't even need a new timing cover gasket either.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Read the service manual ... it kind of helps. Chances are you won't even need a new timing cover gasket either.
Very true but why risk it. I believe if there is a cover that needs to be removed and a gasket underneath it by a new gasket. You will also need some Threebond for the connector.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
when I did dirtninjas cam and headgasket I had to run out and get a torques bit, I went to walmart and got a stanley set for about 20 bux, I dont know off hand what size it was though...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
when I did dirtninjas cam and headgasket I had to run out and get a torques bit, I went to walmart and got a stanley set for about 20 bux, I dont know off hand what size it was though...
Bingo...somebody that actually did it.

First for all of you out there..the service manual tells you to use the starter clutch bolt to turn over the motor. Why you ask...because there are 2 little holes on that right engine cover that has 2 purposes, 1 to turn over the motor and 2 to look at the timing mark for TDC of 1,4. See they engineered the bike so that you don't have to remove another engine cover...makes it way easier.

Second....the solution to the problem was a T45 Torx bit which I put in an 8mm 3/8 socket and bing,bam, boom I'm turning over the motor. YES !!!! I'll add this to my HOWTO...total cost for the bit was 2.65.

And the valve check moves on....

P.S. The valve cover gasket is perfect...it doesn't need to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My bad you are right!!!!! I didn't take into consideration that you have an '06. I'm going off of my 05 big difference. Sorry for the bad info.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok...so now I'm reading that the damn '06 uses special shims...well luckily I didn't have the shim anyway but spending $10 on a damn shim blows chunks. Anyone got a way to get a crapload of these "special" shims. I'm not up for going down to my local shitty kwak dealer 'cause I know they'll give me regular shims when I ask to trade ;) Luckily I only needed 1 on the intake side....although they're all on the tight side which I kinda expected. Well they're in spec and I really don't wanna buy a shitload of shims now...even though I'll probably have to on the next valves job :(

·
Registered
614 Posts
Its actually called a torques bolt. I had to use an impact driver to get mine out because chinaman put it in real real tight, I ended up replacing it with a regular bolt.
Torx actually, but anyhoo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

What's this news about "special" shims? I did a swap on my '04 and there was nothing particularly special about them. Have they changed in the '06 - '07 models to something weird and wonderful? *ponder*

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What does everyone do with that stupid rubber condom under the tank ? Do people keep it in or rip it out at their first opportunity ?

·
Registered
614 Posts
What does everyone do with that stupid rubber condom under the tank ? Do people keep it in or rip it out at their first opportunity ?
I kept mine there, despite it being a pain in the arse. It does service a function, to prevent the heat from the engine coming straight up onto all the electricals at the top end and heating the fuel tank etc. It's worth keeping in there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts