Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm putting new fairings on, and came into a dilemma with the tail light. I have one that came with the bike (not sure if factory), and also purchased a factory light. The mounting holes/angles are different from light to light, and of course the factory light that was purchased doesn't fit. Can anyone explain this to me?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Proelky! How are you doing? Many after market lights do not have the same shape as the manufactory lights. Even some lights look similar to the manufactory light, there are diffrences involved; Most Oftenly they are in the back. However, I believe there is a way that you can make atleast one of the lights you have installed on the new fairing you got. If you are interested send pictures from the rear fairing and the light and I will help you. For the lights send a picture how it look from front and one picture how it look in the back (both lights) and for the fairing: one picture from behind -like you sit just behind the motorcycle- one from under the bottom of fairing, and one from above (from rear fairing).
I will try to give you a way that you can install one of the lights you have on the fairing you got neat and practical.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Proelky! How are you doing? Many after market lights do not have the same shape as the manufactory lights. Even some lights look similar to the manufactory light, there are diffrences involved; Most Oftenly they are in the back. However, I believe there is a way that you can make atleast one of the lights you have installed on the new fairing you got. If you are interested send pictures from the rear fairing and the light and I will help you. For the lights send a picture how it look from front and one picture how it look in the back (both lights) and for the fairing: one picture from behind -like you sit just behind the motorcycle- one from under the bottom of fairing, and one from above (from rear fairing).
I will try to give you a way that you can install one of the lights you have on the fairing you got neat and practical.
I will post a photobucket link as soon as my wife gets home with my camera....Hopefully within the hour. I'm pretty sure the tail section will need to be replaced. I just need to find the correct light so I can purchase a clear one. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn35/Proelky/

Again, I think the rear fairing needs to be replaced and I need to find out what type of tail-light I have. The black light in the pics fits, but not well due to the fairing. The clear one is the other light that was purchased. Let me know what you think.

Josh

·
Registered
307 Posts
Josh! The white light belongs to 2004/2005 Kawasaki ZX-10R (your bike needs 2006/2007 Kawasaki ZX-10R rear light).
Give me alittle bit time ,like 30 minutes. I try to find a way to install one of them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Josh! Thanks for your patient. belive it or not it took about 20 minutes to get those pictures from photo bucket!! but I have them now.
I have a question,
tell me why do you want to change the light? i mean explain clearly (is the black one has a crack? or doesn't work? or you don't like the black color? or ...)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted to replace the black one with a factory color light. None of my other lights are smoked or tented. I'll buy another rear light, and email the fairing gentleman to see about replacing the rear fairing. Know anyone that needs a rear light? LOL! I appreciate all of your help.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I believe the black light is black becasue of paint and i believe it is a simple black spray. If i am right that paint -which is on the glass of the light- can be removed by a selution called "Paint Clean-up". Paint clean-up is not the only product for removeing the paint. There are other paint removers that they remove the paint as well. I used the paint clean-up and it works okay (not the best). You can get the paint remover from hardware store (like OSH, Homedepot, ...)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Josh! Thanks for your patient. belive it or not it took about 20 minutes to get those pictures from photo bucket!! but I have them now.
I have a question,
tell me why do you want to change the light? i mean explain clearly (is the black one has a crack? or doesn't work? or you don't like the black color? or ...)
I removed the paint, and it's a smoked light.... :sad: I'm going to jump on ebay and see if anyone has a clear rear light. If you know anyone, send them my way.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Proelky, If you are not in rush, i recommend to show your black rear light to a painter for advise about bringing it back to clear for the best result.
It seems that you just want to buy a new light but since i took my time and look at the lights again and again, I found a way and there Is a way that you can install the white light that you have -which belongs to 04/05- installed on your bike. If you look behind the 04/05 light there are 3 holes for 3 bolts. The 06/07 does not have the middle one so the middle one on 04/05 light is extra. You can cut that and get the V shape of 06/07 light (it doesn't take so much) and for the bolt holes -which 04/05 does not match the 06/07- you can use electric wires and tight them. It is not finished yet. There is one more thing it needs to be done in order to make the light look prefect. if you look at the light from above ,other than bolts on behind, they attach to top of inside of the rear fairing. On 04/05 the attachment device is a sticker, On 06,07 it seems like male/female; you can remove the attachment from the 06/07 light with a cutter and glue it on 04/05 light. You also can remove the attachement from the rear fairing -which was used to attach the 06/07 light- and put a new big sticker under the fairing and above the 04/05 light. Remember since you use wire you need to have more force for attachment to the fairing by putting a bigger sticker otherwise the edge of the light might fall down during riding.
Take a look at this picture. It shows how to fit a bigger sticker on the rear light. You also can see more details about it by checking the before and after pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shervinrrr/3964098750/in/set-72157622224906681/

I wish you good luck my friend! If you had more questions feel free to ask.
regards
Shervin

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought about grinding off the third tab, and doing exactly what you've done but the other two mounting holes are at a different angle.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I know they are in different angles;That is why i suggested wires instead of bolts. Don't worry too much! Don't think that it is not going to work. It will work and you can do it!
If you had bought the 04/05 light from a dealer i would have suggested to go and return it and change it with 06/07 rear light but since there is a writing on the 04/05 light which says "06 ZX10Rtail light" it is clear that it comes from unprofessional individual and i am not sure if you are able to return it or get your money back. If this is true you still have the option to make it fit by yourself as we discussed.
Let me know if you finish it by yourself. I would like to see it!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sounds like a simple mix up. Where did you get the light? Can you exchange the light for the correct model?

I know they are in different angles;That is why i suggested wires instead of bolts. Don't worry too much! Don't think that it is not going to work. It will work and you can do it!
You mean like zipties or safety wire???

I could have ziptied my engine back in my Subaru after I replaced the HG or back in my YZF600r after I replaced the trans gears. But I figured since they were bolted in from the factory I would use their method. Just b/c it will work doesn't mean you should do it. :wink:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
luckysubie if you could see ShervinRRR's engineering skills you would just :headshake:rolleyes::spit:

What ShervinRRR meant to say was this, this is the wrong tail light. Screw it, cut some holes, make some brackets out of wood and ziptie it to your fairings :eyecrazy::crackup:

common sense says, wrong tail light, maybe send it back and get the correct model for your bike instead of saying screw it. Sorry to say, the taillight is a big plus and to have it ghetto rigged with some zipties on a $13000 bike is stupid and crazy....

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey why dont you smoke the turn signals too i think it would look very nice on that bike give it some thought..... and if the smoked one is in good shape maybe we can swap since ill be smoking mine anyways

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

I just purchased another tail light, so If you need the smoked one I have let me know. The tail fairing was sent back to China, and a claim filed with Paypal just in case. I'm hoping they fix the issue so I can resume my build.....Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
luckysubie if you could see ShervinRRR's engineering skills you would just :headshake:rolleyes::spit:

What ShervinRRR meant to say was this, this is the wrong tail light. Screw it, cut some holes, make some brackets out of wood and ziptie it to your fairings :eyecrazy::crackup:

common sense says, wrong tail light, maybe send it back and get the correct model for your bike instead of saying screw it. Sorry to say, the taillight is a big plus and to have it ghetto rigged with some zipties on a $13000 bike is stupid and crazy....
:+1::crackup::crackup:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With all due respect not everyone has the time or money to make certain things work. What I think is right, may not be the same, or an option for someone else. I appreciate the amount of effort given by ShervinRRR to try and help resolve the situation. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts