Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
....bought this Gen2 WP shock for my 04 Gen 1 and it dont fit!!!!

the preload adjuster hits the front of the swing arm hole and the reservoir hits the rear of the hole.

looks like the reservoir is aligned wrong?

any advice?

anyone got a pic of a WP on a Gen 2?

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the reason, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't fit because the swingarms are different.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i read on here a few have swapped Ohlins from 04-06-08 with no problems. guess WP are set up different? certainly the length and fixings top and bottom are right - thats about it!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i am in the UK - so, that might be an issue?

Its the Competition version with hi + lo comp - retail £873. I paid £400 for it + shipping. Brand new, never used from a dealer. If i sell it, then i'd want my money back.

Think i might look into buying a 2nd hand Gen 2 swing arm - even then, its still WAY cheaper than getting a proper 04 model.

·
Registered
614 Posts
As you've found out, the swingarms are different for 04 to 06. Anythng with a fixed piggy back like that will have troubles. If you go something like the Penske they can go between years as they have a remote resevoir. Double check with a WP tuner that it can't be modified / changes etc to suit the 04 before selling it anyway. The WP stuff is nice.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
too much hassle to make it fit, so if anyone wants it - £400+shipping.

And dont forget, i am in the UK....

Attachments

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Why don't you try the upper shock mount off a 06-07 before you ebay the shock, just a thought, not sure if it will work or not. When you start swaping parts off different year bikes you got to plan for some of the stuff not to work out, thats just the way it goes.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think its a bit more serious than that - the boss for the pre-load fouls near the swing arm pivot and the reservoiur on the braced part of the swing arm.

admittedly, i like the look of the 08 swingarm - especially the ally look. but my main goal is nibbling away at lap times and i guess i just dont want to experiment that much and take steps backwards!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why don't you try the upper shock mount off a 06-07 before you ebay the shock, just a thought, not sure if it will work or not. When you start swaping parts off different year bikes you got to plan for some of the stuff not to work out, thats just the way it goes.
I was thinking about buying one of these but found out you needed an 06 swingarm and headers to make fit. There are some on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KAWASAKI-ZX10...mQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item2c51756b3b

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230401953796&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Good luck...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it was the OEM shock which was revalved and re-sprung about 3year ago. it is well overdue a service. seemed like a good idea to upgrade to a pucka race unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was going to buy one of those for my 05 as they were going cheap on egay but found out that you need an 06 swingarm and headers to make fit. You can buy both on egay at the mo...

search...

Kawasaki ZX10R 06 D exhaust downpipes down header pipes

and

Kawasaki ZX-10 Swing Arm

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was thinking of buying one of those for my 05 as they were going cheap on ebay.

Found out you will need at least an 06 swingarm and headers to make it fit, some on ebay at the mo...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230401953796&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kawasaki-ZX10R-06-D-exhaust-downpipes-down-header-pipes_W0QQitemZ400058887582QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item5d255e2d9e

Good luck whatever you do...
That's a lot of work to make a shock fit when you can buy them to suit the bike .... for little or no benefit ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts