Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the fork off (its the left one). Did my searching and what not, and I cant get the banjo bolt out of the bottom, by hand it just turns something inside the fork and doesnt loosen any more... any idea's?

Thanks a bunch in advance, need to get it fixed for a big ride on sunday!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Try an Air wrench?
Sorry, don't have a clue, but someone should know around here...
Good luck with your project....
:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, its not that its tight, because I can turn it, its that its turning something inside... if I air it out, will I be able to get it tight again?

·
Registered
474 Posts
You have to use a air gun to take the bolt out. It will remove the bolt so fast the inner cartridge won't turn.Then after you've finished cleaning up your forks and installing new fork seals. Your ready to reassemble them,use the air gun again to reinstall the same bolt.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I kinda figured, but wanted to be sure so I dont screw it up.. So it will go back together no problem without the impact I assume?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Or you could invert it, compress the spring by hand and have someone turn it. It will come apart. Getting the seal out is the hard part, I had to cut it out with some snips being careful not to scar the wall.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im hoping to not have to mess with the spring, thus this method :)

how do you put the oil back in the fork after its together? Just dump it in before reassembly?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You should have untighten the big fork nut at the top when it was held in by the lower triple clamp. then you could have taken apart the outter tube and been able to hold the inner spring apparatus (dont know what its called) and untighten the bottom bolt with no problem.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, I suppose I can still do that, but from what Ive read thats not necesary.... We will find out tomorrow I guess.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Fill the fluid back up through the dust cap......... It's like 14oz or something like that.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Im sure abprep07 will chime in before long.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I did both of my forks a few weeks ago, wasn't to bad. I read garths how to before i attempted it, and bought all the tools that you NEED. Sounds like your doing it different though, and the reason your bolt is spinning is because the cartridge is just spinning inside the tube, you need the tool that holds it in place.

http://www.garthmanracing.com/forkseal.htm

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, did the deed, no spring compressor needed at all, it was so easy. For the oil, I just put it back in the bolt in the end of the fork on reassembly, with a be seringe. Glad I know how to do it now, saved me almost $100 and only takes a couple hours.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sweet, i could be wrong, cause im not really sure how you did it. But are you able to get all the fork oil out doing it that way, cause you have to pump the cartridge quite a few times for all the oil to come out completely.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didnt have to take the internals out, but getting it out of the way made life that much easier getting the seals out and back in. Word to the wise, that top nut is SOFT aluminum, very easy to distort its spape if you get it too tight.

Either way, NO special tools, no springs to mess with, Im actually amazed at how little is in there.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I didnt have to take the internals out, but getting it out of the way made life that much easier getting the seals out and back in. Word to the wise, that top nut is SOFT aluminum, very easy to distort its spape if you get it too tight.

Either way, NO special tools, no springs to mess with, Im actually amazed at how little is in there.
Best bet for the dust cap nut is to use an impact. I changed the seals on a GSXR 1000 for a guy and found that out the hard way. If you ratchet on them by hand 9 out of 10 times your going to round them off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts