Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a stock 06 damper from a friend and thought Id post some pics of how I installed it.
First I bolted it on to the frame at the front of the tank.

Made a tab to attach to the top clamp

Made a jam nut to space the attachment bolt off my bracket

Mounted bracket where the top clamp pinches the fork tube. Made sure it fit between and didnt stop the clamp from tightening but tight enough to hold it.

Installed the bolt and like that its finished. Pretty easy to do and has to be better then not having one. Think I will replace the needle and seat on it too Hope this helps others looking to do the same.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Looks good, looks factory!

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Looks good, but I would be concerned in a violent tankslapper that your bracket and/or the triple clamp might not hold up. The stock bracket ties in to two mounting holes and sperads the load out under the whole width of the upper clamp. Just a thought

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great fabrication! this is for a Gen 1 zx10r? right?
Yes that is correct.

Looks good, but I would be concerned in a violent tankslapper that your bracket and/or the triple clamp might not hold up. The stock bracket ties in to two mounting holes and sperads the load out under the whole width of the upper clamp. Just a thought
I have thought about that and thinking about bracing it. The stock 06 bracket looks pretty flimsy but does spread it to two smaller bolts. When I come up with a better bracket I will update with pics. I definately want it to be an effective mod and work correctly. Thanks for the input.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
I was thinking about this as well, and there are a few brackets out there that you can buy that clamp around the fork leg itself, particularly for this type of retrofit. I also though about drilling and taping the 04-05 upper triple for the 06-09 bracket, but its kind of cast and hollow underneath, not sure if that would work.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the bracket so I will take off the top clamp and see if it is possible. Im with you though, that may not be an option.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If someone need a bracket set i have a hyper-pro set with the base and and the triple attachemnt.
not going to use it, prefer the under triple version instead.

another option is just pick up a 06 top triple and use that, they are pretty inexpensive as well.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
If someone need a bracket set i have a hyper-pro set with the base and and the triple attachemnt.
not going to use it, prefer the under triple version instead.

another option is just pick up a 06 top triple and use that, they are pretty inexpensive as well.

I want to say someone tried to fit the 06 upper on the 04-05 lower and it did not work, I want to say the ofsett is slightly off, like it would line up with the fork tubes no problem but the center hole was slightle off. Hearsay, but I remember something about that. Now a whole triple clamp swap that would work no problem.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi

May be I can give some input.

I have made this setup some time ago, sorry have no photos since the friend of made to whom I have done this setup has sold bike.

But any way, when we did the first one was almost the same L shaped bracket but started to crack after some time since we have a lot of very bad roads here so, the second bracket we made was a U shaped.

What we have done to come over the hole where the screw head goes in is we machined a spacer like to sand wage the bracket to the head stock clamp. It holded no cracks where noticed, but do not now if it is still ok, sorry.

The only issue was a bit more complicated to get the nut for the bolt that pass trough the ring of the damper, but sure you can go over it.

Any way good luck regards Jo

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doing the u shape and welding the nut inside it then boxing both the open sides is what I was thinking about last night. A longer bolt for the clamp and a spacer to take up the space between the bracket and hole in the clamp is what I be picking up today.

Again thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
302 Posts
hi Boz

Just an other small input from a mistake I have made the first time : ).

The thickness of the U has to be thin enough that when you are tightening the clamp to the shock this has not to stop the clamp from tightening to the shock, was I clear sorry for my English.

regards Jo

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I see what you mean by that. The one now fits and still lets it clamp the fork tube so thats what I will use for the new one. Thanks Bandana

1 - 14 of 14 Posts