Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After degreeing in stock cams with a clipped head and thin head gasket I ran across a broken but complete cylinder head from an 06 zx10R. Does anyone know if the later cams will fit the earlier heads, and also if they're helpful (or not)?

Parts diagrams for the 06 show the part number for the exhaust cam as being different than the earlier ones. Sprockets for the 06 are different than earlier as well. Intake PN is the same for all.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
the sprocets are a lil different, i think they just changed the amount of material on them but they are the same specs and you wont have any problems with swappin heads.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Garth. I looked closely at the sprockets on the broken head, and it looks like the gear teeth are laser cut - you can see a heat affected zone around the perimeter of the sprocket and the mounting holes. Makes me wonder if they made them from a different material than the earlier sprockets.

Strangely enough, after comparing part numbers some more, the intake valve is different on the 06. Everything else, with the exception of the exhaust cam, is the same. The head is different, at least in the intake boots mount. The 06 has the left and right boots paired together - earlier ones are 4 separate pieces.

I guess unless I'm gonna do some dyno testing the race intake cam would be the next step. I know these motors love compression, and since I'm forced to run race gas I'll just squeeze them as close as I can. A buddy of mine surface ground the head down some, and that seems to wake these motors up quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If I remember correctly the '06 has a 1mm SMALLER intake valve. Velocity and such. But cams are the same, so they will drop in, but not get you anything.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My engine guy said the same thing about the smaller intake valve on the later motor too. He is going to talk to webcam about making good cams for these motors.

·
Registered
542 Posts
After degreeing in stock cams with a clipped head and thin head gasket I ran across a broken but complete cylinder head from an 06 zx10R. Does anyone know if the later cams will fit the earlier heads, and also if they're helpful (or not)?

Parts diagrams for the 06 show the part number for the exhaust cam as being different than the earlier ones. Sprockets for the 06 are different than earlier as well. Intake PN is the same for all.
What do you mean by "clipped head"?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its milled like Garth said. Its also angle cut slightly - more material is taken off the front or rear (can't remember which). We have been doing this to the GSXR heads too, but not near as much as what is taken off the kawi heads. With the stock cams and the thinnest head gasket I still have plenty of piston to valve clearance so more can be taken off in the future. I'm not worried about detonation with the race gas, so other than getting the A/F right no worries.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts