Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sent emails to akro regarding this several times, I have used several different email addresses. No responce. This is starting to piss me off. Anyone else have any idea's for me? It's starting to make me want to take it off and sell it to buy a different brand and never consider Akro again.....

Here is a copy of my email I have sent over 6 times to any email I can get for the company.... Next time I think I am going with an exhaust that actually has a tech line that will respond to comments or issues I have.

Please read through my comments and respond, I have written several emails to your company using the contact info on your web site with no response!

I purchased a full race system with carbon fiber mufflers for my 2006 zx10r. I have had it for 3 months. Several issues are coming up with this system and I was hoping you can tell me what's going on or offer suggest a fix for any of these problems.

The muffler is carbon fiber and left side of the system (sitting on the bike) is very loose I can wiggle the exhaust left and right as far as an inch in each direction. I have taken the tail off the bike to tighten the mounting bolt and found it was still tight. It appears the mounting point on the carbon hanger has a rubber grommet in the sub frame to allow for some movement, but the spring that holds the end section it to the mid section does not secure it well at all! I have tried new springs and it still did not help. Is this just the way it mounts? Are they all loose like this? An example would be to grab the end of the left side muffler with your palm over the exhaust exit and twist gently left and right, you will find that the pipe moves back and fourth very easily allowing the exhaust to pivot where the mid joins the last section.

The second issue I am having is on the other side the right can is leaking where the carbon fiber meets with the pipe a metallic strip is around the carbon fiber and appears riveted to the metal insert but it is leaking bad. It constantly leaks oily "gook" and looks horrible. I have a powercommander and a custom map so I can confirm that it is not running rich causing the leak. Do they normally leak just after a three months of use? I can understand if the system was used or a few years old but this is brand new!

The third issue is not a big deal but really pushed me over the edge the stickers peeling off the carbon fiber mufflers! I know they are just stickers but again this is a new system that I spent lots of hard earned money on and just after 90 days of use they quality of these pipes appear to be sub par when compared to your other systems.

It's important that you know I take very good care of my motorcycle and never abuse it. I clean with the approved soaps/cleaners per your recommendations in your enclosed literature. If I were to abuse your product or mistreat it, I could understand the problems I am having. However I have always taken care of the exhaust system and it appears to be falling apart. Please advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
well issue # 1 is normal. Mine does it also. the springs just hold it flush pipe to pipe but cant stop the rotating of the can if you twist. if you just pull it left or right its firmly attached to the tail you just cant twist it. however twisting actually was somethign i need since my bike is lowered it keeps it further fromt he wheel well.

issue# 2 is definitely a defect if anything is leaking at the rivets.. now it being oily gook sounds like unburnt fuel and could be another issue. if you say its tuned right then i take your word but if run my finger inside my pipe its not oily so whats leaking out of yours should be oily..

issue#3 my stickers are peeling slightly from the heat cause i dont think they adhere as well to carbon as they would ti.. im pulling mine off actually now..

I love the system and wouldnt trade for any other system regardless of price.. thats just my .02..

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deezuhl said:
issue# 2 is definitely a defect if anything is leaking at the rivets.. now it being oily gook sounds like unburnt fuel and could be another issue. if you say its tuned right then i take your word but if run my finger inside my pipe its not oily so whats leaking out of yours should be oily..

The exit "hole" lol... is not oily it's nice and clean really. It's just that it is leaking some sludge like stuff that drys and looks like black stickyness... an example for all you "smot pokers" would be like resign from a old heavily used pipe. Know what I mean? I clean it off every 2 wks or so.

Also, since I have the yellow it's more noticable... but the bottom of the rear tail turns black after riding a few K miles.... It was pissing me off but I found a really easy way to clean it off..... so that's okay I guess...

·
Registered
73 Posts
My experience

My system mounts very firmly. If I grap the mufflers an try to move them, the stay firm as if rigidly mounted to the bike. I have not movement anywhere in the system. I haven't experienced any exhaust leaks and my stickers have'nt come loose.

I know this doesn't help solve your issues, but it does that at least some of the systems mount well without defect.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
deezuhl said:
issue#3 my stickers are peeling slightly from the heat cause i dont think they adhere as well to carbon as they would ti.. im pulling mine off actually now..
So do all akra stickers on carbon cans come off over a period of time? I ordered akra hex cf and would annoy me if sticker started peeling off.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hattori Hanzo said:
So do all akra stickers on carbon cans come off over a period of time? I ordered akra hex cf and would annoy me if sticker started peeling off.
mine haven't

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have over 10K on the system. I installed it at 800 miles. Started leaking at about 8-9K miles

I have the attn of the company I purchased the system from after one email they responded in moments and gave me my next steps. They will deal with LP the US distributer. They made it very easy. Sending pic's.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
deezuhl said:
well issue # 1 is normal. Mine does it also. the springs just hold it flush pipe to pipe but cant stop the rotating of the can if you twist. if you just pull it left or right its firmly attached to the tail you just cant twist it. however twisting actually was somethign i need since my bike is lowered it keeps it further fromt he wheel well.

I love the system and wouldnt trade for any other system regardless of price.. thats just my .02..
:iamwithst
...except for #3. Maybe the early systems for the '06 have problems with the stickers, but I've had the EVO 2 system on my '04 for about 2 yrs now and the stickers are fine. Same goes for past bikes that I had Akra on. You won't find a better quality system than Akra, IMO. Some(arata, sato, etc.) are getting close or equal in recent years, but none better.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aablackr1 said:

Yeah, thats a great idea I will just throw out my 1500 exhaust system and get race baffels for the but ugly stock system.... hmmm.... maybe not....

Also I can throw away 10hp by switching back and pay another 275 for a custom map for my PCIII with stock exhaust and "race baffles"....

Are you nuts?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
:bump:
What's the word on this?

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
Use some high temp rtv on all your joints, that will help with both leaks and make the joints fit tighter, also you can take and smear a thin layer on the inside of the carbon clamps, that will give the mufflers something to stick to and hopefully they will not move around in the clamps so much, I think Akra does not have as tight of tolerances on their race systems vs Evo, my race system on my Zx9r was kind of loose at the joints and you could move the can around a bit, I used the RTV and stopped the leaks and tigtend up the joints a bit. You could even use the RTV on the outside of a rivet if they are leaking, just don't get slopy with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts