Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kinda long but relavant so just bare with me. First:
3 weeks ago I was riding with some friends and we stopped to get some gas, after I refueled, i attempted to start my bike and it wouldn't start. So I said to my self "silly me" check the kill switch and/or the kickstand. Kill switch was ON and the kickstand was up, but still no start. So I let the kickstand down then back up again and flipped the kill switch Off then On then all of a sudden the bike starts.:dontknow: So I'm thinking maybe I just had a "stupid" moment and I didn't really think about it anymore, even though it was kinda wierd.
Next:
Last Wednesday (Approx. 2 week later) I got off work and attempted to start my bike and Poof...Same problem again. So this time I thinking I really have a problem. Maybe something electrical. So I let the kickstand down then up again then I started it again. This time I was running just fine. So I put it in 1st gear and the bike shuts off again. So now I'm a little aggravated. I get it running again though and as soon as I pull out on to the busy main street in front of the job my bike shuts off again as soon as I pull in the clutch to go to 2nd gear. So I played with the kickstand switch and got it to fire up again So putting 2 and 2 together I fugured out my kickstand switch is faulty.
Now i left out a few details to keep the story shorter than the novel that is has already turned out to be but I don't feel safe riding right now. I could fix it but why when I have the warranty. I just don't want it to stay in the shop for 3-4 months for this very small and easy to repair issue.
The moral of the story, just be aware of this issue because It could have bee n worse. I will take it to the shop Saturday because I still need the damper recall issue to be fixed anyway and I will keep you guys updated on what the dealership says

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Glad nothing bad happen to U on the main road or any other road, take it in and get it fix. What's that damper recall issue U are talking about, are all dampers or just certain ones?? How can U tell which one are recalled??

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
True it could be your kickstand switch but also check your clutch lever switch, if it not adjusted right (or your lever) can cause the same problems. Do you have stock levers? Will your bike start in Neutral? if it starts in N then it's likley your clutch lever switch is not adjusted right.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1rocket69 said:
True it could be your kickstand switch but also check your clutch lever switch, if it not adjusted right (or your lever) can cause the same problems. Do you have stock levers? Will your bike start in Neutral? if it starts in N then it's likley your clutch lever switch is not adjusted right.

Does make sense...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
after i would take my bike out for a session on the track it would momentarily not want to start, kick over yes but not start. A few seconds later it fired up just fine. Since putting the bike back onto the street i have not run into this problem, although i do have the kickstand switch permantly enabled ( had kick stand off for track) so not running into that problem...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am 99% sure it's in the kick stand. It wouldn't start again today so I just touched on the kickstands' wire connector and it fired right up. I'm taking it into the dealership for future reference and just in case this electrical problem turns into more.

·
Banned
363 Posts
My kick stand switch did that the other day didn't think much of it, until I read this thread. All I did was touch it with my heel and it fired right up.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Dood...if yer dealer keeps yer bike for 3-4 months for a kickstand switch...Get yer loan company to go see the dealer for payment..lol
:dollarbil :banamet:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Or you could just cut the wires to your kickstand and crimp them together,
by-pass the switch all-together
If you do a trackday and remove your kickstand you'll have to anyway

1 - 10 of 10 Posts