Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an AreaP half system that is both ceramic coated and heat wrapped. Heat insulted so well you can grab the pipe by your foot straight off a track session. :eyecrazy:

I'm considerring putting the stock pipes back on for sound reduction reasons.

The only milage I have with the stock pipes is the 5 highways miles home from the dealer. Question is just how much heat should I expect? Being spoiled with my current insulation will the oem feel like a foot, leg, and ass cooker? Is that damn ugly heat shield needed under the battery (no issues removed, cool to the touch currently)

...ya I knnow...bolt it up and see for myself....but hey...what else am I gonna do while insomia is kick'm my ass?

pic of current set up...

·
Registered
103 Posts
i think they will be hotter mainlky due to the backpressure.

mine has stockers on it and they get quite hot. wheres my 04 slip on you could touch the carbon can straight after riding.

·
Registered
279 Posts
no issues with my akra. exhaust with no heat shields, so stock should be fine

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Why do you have heat wrap on your pipe, in the long run it most likely will make your pipe crack!! That heat wrap is the last thing you want to do inless its last minute or just for a simple fix for a day or two...Learned my lesson using that shit!!

Why dont you use your heat shield that came with the bike???

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
never heat wrap titanium, it will snap crackle n pop

the only heat issue with the 2nd gen is that heat will radiate from under your seat after a while and you will feel it on your a$$ as a warm fart.

the pipe is under your passengers leg really so i have had passengers complain about the heat from the stock pipe under their legs but as the driver, it wont effect your legs.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you have heat wrap on your pipe, in the long run it most likely will make your pipe crack!!
never heat wrap titanium, it will snap crackle n pop
No worries. No snap, no crackle, no pop. And definately no crack. :headshake :cool:

v e r y s l o w l y for the reading impared. .... Ceramic coated AreaP. SS not Ti. Ceramic coated inside and out. The wrap was just for extra insulation. My boot is ON the pipe during knee down left handers due to the rear set postion. The wrap will not damage the pipe from overheating or from corrosion. ...c e r a m i c c o a t e d.... :wink:

·
Registered
477 Posts
do you need it quieter for the track??if so why did you not buy a akro full system (with baffles) or similar?that way you have the option!when i had my 06 custom map'ed they tried the new map with the baffles in and get this=it made 2ft/lb more torque and only droped 1.4 bhp!!the dyno guy said that akrapovic baffles do f*ck all to power as the loss in bhp is made up with the gain in torque..(on the same map).ps i know akro's are'nt cheap but worth it in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts