Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, installed the kit electricals in my ’07, and took it to the track over the weekend. It definitely needs a bit of fuelling work off idle (quite snatchy), but apart from that it seems pretty good for my level of riding skill.

Only problem, it’s become a bit of a pig to start ; takes a while off to fire the button, and then it seems to run on two cylinders for maybe 20-30s before the second pair chime in. It seems to be only for the first start of the day.

Does anyone have any knowledge on a cold starting set-up ? I’m going to remove the starter and associated gears for weight reduction (have no problem with bump starting), but I absolutely need to get it starting easily and reliably, and if possible I don’t want to have to rely on roller starters.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Have you looked at the maps? The kit ECUs are delivered with a 'zero' fuel map, the same as a stock bike, but with the ability to change up and down by 30%. Did you buy it new, or used?

Your water and airbox temp meters are in place and hooked up?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, bought it all new and installed with only some very minor changes to the mapping (as in, activating the quickshifter and pit lane speed switch). The sensors are still in place and AFAIK hooked up, but thanks for the tip, will check them both.

Yes, it is a zero map, but I'm not so sure that the kit ECU contains the stock map - can anyone confirm or deny this ?

EDIT - thinking about it, it can't be a stock map, as the bike was relatively easy to start before. Plus, throttle repsonse off idle was definitely smoother in the past.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hmm, I've got 2 '06 kit ECUs, and with a zero map they run the same as a stock ECU. Can you try your stock ECU, to test if there might be another problem?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately not, I've sold off the stadard ECU and lockset. Thinking I really need to check those sensors now (although once up to temperature the bike seems to run well, so I wouldn't think there was a problem).

On reflection, it occurs to me that the bike did get a bit harder to start after I installed the full Akrapovic system without remapping ; I've also since installed a BMC race filter, so perhaps the two of those combined could be causing the problems ?

I'm also wondering if I should use the 'monitor' function in the calibration software - didn't look closely at what it picks up, but perhaps it'll give me some insights if i compare cold start to warm start. Hmmm ...

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Thanks, bought it all new and installed with only some very minor changes to the mapping (as in, activating the quickshifter and pit lane speed switch). The sensors are still in place and AFAIK hooked up, but thanks for the tip, will check them both.

Yes, it is a zero map, but I'm not so sure that the kit ECU contains the stock map - can anyone confirm or deny this ?

EDIT - thinking about it, it can't be a stock map, as the bike was relatively easy to start before. Plus, throttle repsonse off idle was definitely smoother in the past.

Cheers,
Brian
That's an excellent question. I honestly have no idea, but my guess would be probably not. Being a programmable kit part...:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
These #'s are for a 3rd Gen., but you may want to try these lower RPM values just to see if it helps. It might be worth a try.:dontknow:

Remember, you have 2 fueling maps (or at least I do). 1&4 and 2&3 You will need to adjust both.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
These #'s are for a 3rd Gen., but you may want to try these lower RPM values just to see if it helps. It might be worth a try.:dontknow:

Remember, you have 2 fueling maps (or at least I do). 1&4 and 2&3 You will need to adjust both.
Thanks very much Tenn10, I'll certainly keep it in mind. Had a recent flash of memory, where I remembered that I had been in the practice of turning up the idle to around 2000, partly a) to force myself to a higher cornerspeed, but mainly b) to get around the throttle response problem. When I installed the kit wiring, I turned it down and had forgotten about it. Will definitely try that first, but if it doesn't work will look to create a map the same as yours and give it a shot.

All the best,
Brian

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
All those things sound like good places to start... I'd think about getting a good map made, specific to your motor and modifications.

Also you could map your ignition timing.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All those things sound like good places to start... I'd think about getting a good map made, specific to your motor and modifications.

Also you could map your ignition timing.
Yes, definitely on the list further down the track. There’s a few more parts that need to be fitted to the motor first (cams / head gasket / alternator) before I commit to a ‘final’ tune, but hopefully a little tinkering in the meantime will keep it rideable as is.

Cheers,
Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts