Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike: 06 ZX10r
Current setup: stock w/ braided lines

I'm trying to decide what the 'smartest' front rotor route is for my 10, hopefully some of the experienced members can chime in.
Understand that the bike will not see race time but consider that it will be used in a similar fashion; I am a fan of overkill.

So far I've ordered a Brembo 19RCS and Brembo HP billet calipers.

What diameter should I get and why (300/310/320)?

I've been thinking about the Brembo 320mm oversized kit (non T-drive), but is the extra 20mm worth it?

My other thought was to get the Braketech iron 300mm rotors.

Any tips/suggestions/experience/advice would be much appreciated.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I've always ran EBC prolites for street use (and galfer wave's a couple times..no likie) but have never heard a bad thing about the brembo's...especially if the rest of your brake setup is the same brand...i don't think you'll be unhappy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.

Any debatable reasons why I should go 320 over 310/300 or vise versa?

Does anyone know if there's an issue running 300's with the HP calipers?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
No issue with running 300mm rotors with the HP's, as the spacer kit you get with them will be made for the 300mm rotors which are stock.
I run braketech wave rotors and no complaints thats for sure, running Brembo HP's, 19x18 brembo master, SBS sintered race (not recommended, very hard on rotors) & goodridge SBK lines..

I would say if you want to waste the money get brembo 310mm rotors...the 320's might give you some way tighter cleanace when putting the calipers on/off.
also they will be a bit heavier but more initial bite when braking.

If/when i mod the brakes again i will try the Braketech 310mm CMC rotors as lighter and will help the handling and work as well as anything else made period.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's some great info JD, I appreciate it.

What size are the spacers that came with your kit? The HP kit I ordered is not zx10r specific so I will likely have to order the spacers seperately (probably through yoyodyneti.com).

Do you have any experience with iron rotors? The CMC rotors are amazing but I don't think they would be well suited for a bike that will likely never see track time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know what size spacer is needed for the Brembo HP billet calipers so that they'll work with 300mm rotors?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would happily reccomend any of the Braketech rotors, especially with their patented design to stop the 'Buttons' wearing. I went with there SS ones cos I wore out the 'Buttons on my O.E.M. rotors.
Only thing is it's weird at 1st hearing your rotors rattle when going slowly cos they are fully floating.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I would happily reccomend any of the Braketech rotors, especially with their patented design to stop the 'Buttons' wearing. I went with there SS ones cos I wore out the 'Buttons on my O.E.M. rotors.
Only thing is it's weird at 1st hearing your rotors rattle when going slowly cos they are fully floating.
How do the button on stock rotors wear out?:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If you have a Brembo master and Brembo calipers why not stick with Brembo rotors. Not trying to pick on you but if you are not really racing and going for a more bling factor matching always seems cooler!!!! Like Ohlins front forks with rear shock and steering damper. Just my opinion though. As far as spacers go you can by the spacer kit made for your ZX10R. Just before you do know if you are going to run oversized rotors or not then give a Brembo supplier a call and tell them. They will sell you the correct spacer kit. As far as size goes whatever you fancy since you are not racing with this setup. I've never had a problem getting calipers off with oversized rotors.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip.

I'm considering the 320mm Brembo kit over the 300mm irons but for the time being I'm going to run some Alth rotors (which will become spares eventually).

I need to start focussing on other important parts like the chain and tires.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
if your using the HP calipers i am 99% certain you need 5mm spacers with stock rotors.
9r to 10r can measure if you ask him., as i don;t have access to my bike right now.

320 or less no clearance issues, if you went 330mm like the 1098/1198 it is very tight on the clearance side of things..

if your not racing i would skip the iron as they are not as durable as some good old steel units from braking/galfer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How do the button on stock rotors wear out?:dontknow:
Sorry for late reply.
I upgraded to CBR calipers & then an ISR master cylinder with good pads, within 1000 miles you could move the rotor back & forth on the carrier by approx 4mm, imagine how much movement this was magnified to at the outer rotor.
I first thought the headstock bearings had gone cos of the movement & the way it felt, but eventually traced it to the buttons where they hold the rotor to carrier.
All I can put it down to is that the O.E.M. rotors couldn't handle my upgrades, but AFAIK no one else has had the issue, so :dontknow:
Cheers Ergo

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have an OEM set that is worn like yours, but they have been raced for 2 seasons. All stock components except braided lines.

To the OP, I have a set of Braketech's in great condition I'm selling soon. Raced 1 6hour endurance and a couple track days. Need cash.:badteeth:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jdgun_13, thanks for the info on the spacers, 5mm worked great!

P 51 Jockey, feel free to pm me the specs/pics of the Braketechs, I might be interested if the price is right.

I ended up getting the calipers, 19rcs, and alth rotors installed over the weekend. The alth rotors will eventually become a spare set once I decide on a set of rotors I like but for now they will be more than adequate for the street.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Stay away from Iron for the street (they rust almost instantly) and wave rotors.
Uh.....why??

320's 15mm spacers, only went with Wave's because Brembo 320's were taking forever. Check with supplier to verify on spacers for your setup! Yoyodyne, Dan Kyle and Viet's (Veets), have all treated me well. Had Brembo 320's on my R1 with Ferodo XR's - great combination. I've had the Waves for three years = 0 problems.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the picture.

I think I'm going to go with the regular 320mm brembo kit (non T-drive) and pick up a set of 15mm spacers from yoyodyne.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks for the picture.

I think I'm going to go with the regular 320mm brembo kit (non T-drive) and pick up a set of 15mm spacers from yoyodyne
Nice choice, Yoyodyne is good people. My bike is a first Gen. As I remember the spacers are the same, but the'll know for sure.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
52 Posts
jdgun_13, thanks for the info on the spacers, 5mm worked great!

P 51 Jockey, feel free to pm me the specs/pics of the Braketechs, I might be interested if the price is right.

I ended up getting the calipers, 19rcs, and alth rotors installed over the weekend. The alth rotors will eventually become a spare set once I decide on a set of rotors I like but for now they will be more than adequate for the street.

How many mm are the Alth rotors & where did you purchase them from?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts