Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I finally got fed up and put 14 calipers on my 10R. They work great. I go to clean the pistons on the Nissin's today. And realize just how easy it was to push the pistons back in on the Nissin calipers. On the Tokico's pushing the pistons in was pretty difficult and I chewed up a set of pads doing it frequently. So now I am wondering if a lot of the braking problem with the Tokico calipers are because the tolerances are too tight for the pistons, seals and the piston hole itself. Hmm, I wonder is maybe polishing the pistons on the Tokico's just a bit would help?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Nice observation. Maybe a machinist might be able to figure that out.
In a similar context, I read not too long ago that Honda is now using aluminum pistons with a plated finish to make the pistons lighter, faster, and add more feel.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Congrats...The key point is you got the calipers done which makes the bike so much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
530 Posts
yes, that is actually a viable fix. the Germans most common fix to "our 06-07 problem" is to fix smaller TIN plated pistons in the stock calipers and they report great results.

I went with the Nissins just because I have always felt their quality was better than Tokico though :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Good observation! As I already previously mentioned, the pistons are the main issue of the stock Tokico calipers. I have exchanged the stock pistons with DLC coated pistons and the calipers feel much better now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts