Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'm looking to probably rebuild my engine and gearbox on my 05 ZX10R within the next year. I've already got low compression showing up, so I'm guessing its a mere matter of time before it's required to get it sorted.

I'm considering rebuilding both engine and gearbox at the same time.

Now...

My options are...
buy a replacement motor/gearbox. and bolt straight in..
has anyone done this and does anyone know roughly how much this may cost?
engine to be from a bike with 10,000kms or less (dunno what that works out in miles). Possibly new ? though I'm guessing that'd be expensive.

rebuild current engine and gearbox.
and when doing so, slap some performance stuff in it and possibly look at hammering out some bigger HP in the process.

Has anyone does these at all ?
I don't even know where to start with the rebuilding of gearbox and motor.
Was hoping to start getting ideas/tips/help as I'll probably be looking to try get this all underway within the next year...

Cheers guys!

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
you know I want to answer a lot of your questions but I think someone else can help you out a lot more then me!!! I would say just rebuild it and do some work on it while its out but thats me...hit up garth, go to the member board and find a garth in there, his picture will be of a bad ass 04/05 zx10r which just made the cover of street bike mag. Hes done just about anything to build up his motor

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
The question is how mechancal are you and how much are you willing to spend?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've previously done a pre apprenticeship auto mechanics course, but didn't follow it up any further.
I have an idea of how the motor works, but I've never really done any major work on a bike before, I've got mates that would be willing to help out, kinda like a group project, that a more mechanically minded.

I'd probably looking to spend 3-4k max if possible. If that.
and I'd hope to possibly do both gearbox AND engine with that... if its possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts