Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 05' ZX10R and have noticed a few things that are new to me. With this being my first big boy bike after riding a 650R for a year, i'm not sure if my bike is running too rich or lean, plus i'm sure replacing essential parts are a good way to start clean with a bike this old.

1. First few days on the bike I noticed that the engine runs a little hot when riding city/idle... The highest it'll go is 240 degrees (keep in mind it's not even summer yet) in which the fan kicks in at 220, bringing it down to 200-215 until I hit freeway. Then it maintains 160-180. At first I wasn't sure whether it was normal for a liter bike to hit this temp so I checked the forums and everyone says this is the usual idle temp. So to be sure I flushed the coolant, changed oil and replaced the air filter.

2. After a little research I found that it is best to run a bike a little more rich than lean. With that being said, what are some mods or parts I can start with to get me there. As far as the bike's current state of condition this is all I know: The odometer reads 70k miles, however, the owner has paperwork that states a rebuilt engine with 11k miles. I will still however start fresh myself. There are no mods that are visible or stated from previous owner other than an exhaust (HMF). Other than that the bike runs great mechanically. I do however noticed that getting off first is more of a gradual roll off rather than instant response (which is what i'm aiming for.

3. Please feel free to give thoughts, comments, concerns about whether there are better or more efficient parts that are either most cost efficient or expensive. It doesn't matter about price (I can always save more and wait) but I am trying to stay within the $1200 range for ESSENTIALS only. Any other mods and or parts that are worth mentioning please feel free!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,059 Posts
Welcome to the club!

First off, the bike should NEVER get to 240 deg. That is the highest the indicator will read and will stop going up at that point as it's maxed out. That's why "it's the highest it will go". You'll boil the coolant and damage the motor at that temp (warp the head, damage the head gasket, melt the fan blade, etc). The first thing you should be doing aside from the coolant change, is to check the radiator and the coolant pipes. You may have a blocked passage or damaged fins on it letting it get too hot. The normal range will be in the 160-180 range like you're seeing, but even in traffic on a hot day it should be in the 215 region at the highest point. The fan should be activating at 212 deg. The temp sensor may be old and not reading properly, so that's something else to diagnose.

The AFR should be slightly on the rich side for the best performance. For that version of -10R, a Power Commander would be the easiest way to modify the fueling. It would help to know what it currently is, so a dyno with with an O2 probe will tell you what it's doing and someone can tune the Power Commander for you to put it in the proper range. Finding someone local to you would be money well spent along with the Power Commander. The older models can be reflashed, but the adjustment on things is limited due to the more analog design of it. The computer is not used to control all the other stuff on that one. If you know what you're doing and what to tune it yourself, or find someone who can tune it for you using this, then you can skip the Power Commander and go with a reflash kit like this:

Woolich Racing (WR)

You're money should be spent initially in these areas and you can worry about other things later on. With a 16 year old bike, aftermarket parts will be limited. You'll have to do some things to get it running ride, get some seat time on it, and figure out what you where you want to spend the money! Front brake calipers would be something to look into as an upgrade. But you've got the legendary "Widow Maker" model, so enjoy the hell out of it and congrats on the purchase!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts