Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its very strange. Started about a week ago. If the clutch is under a load, it feels solid at the lever. If not under a load, it looses its feel and has about 1.5 inches of free travel. It didn't have any till last week. The engine and clutch only have about 4500 miles on them. It doesn't slip at all, and still seems to slip into gear easily. WTF? I changed the oil and pulled the clutch cover off yesturday. Checked the springs and plates - all seem to be perfect. What has happened?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately.... yes. Everything seems to be working properly. A very good friend of mine will be at the house later to help me tear it apart again. Maybe I missed something. If you have any ideas..... please let me know.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check the back torque limiter "slipper" mechanisim if its in wrong or the springs are bad that can happen. theres a manual posted on this forum check it out there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just checked the manual, this clutch still uses the three fingered washers as the springs for the back torque limiter. These were prone to breaking on many of kawi's older models (there was a recall on them) I havent seen any broken since then but what your describing would happen if there were broken. Im not saying this IS your problem but its worth a look. You have to take the center nut off to get to these springs. You would not know they were bad unless you knew what to look for.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I found out what it was. The large nut had come loose. The basket was moving in and out on the transmission shaft. It allowed the basket to cut a nice sized grooze into my clutch cover when the lever was pulled. Also, when I went to put it back together, found a nice crack in the basket itself. Anybody have one for a reasonable price? I'll post some pics later today.
:BangHead::rocketwho:suicide:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts