Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum. Picking up my 05 zx10r tonight. It needs new tires and i have 0 experience with sportbike tires. Had an 04 in 05, but never had to change tires.

Daily commute, road trips amd mountain passes. No track days. What do you guys recommend? ( i know... Very generic question) im almost set on the diablo rosso II. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
683 Posts
Q3 or better .
I'd disagree. The Q3's are a short-life, high maintenance, sporty tire. People obliterate them in 1-2 track days. Based on the OPs application he would benefit most from a good sport-touring tire.

I'd recommend the Michelin's Pilot Road 4s or their all new Road 5s. The Road 5s provide improved grip over the Road 4's without depreciating tread life. They also utilize Michelin's 2CT compound on the sides (so if ever you do take a corner hot, you'll have sport-tire traction).

There's no shame in running a sport-touring tire. The Rosso 2's are probably the least sporty sport-tire in their lineup, but I don't think they're going to last as long or be that much better than the Michelin's if you 're looking to throw a tire on, set a PSI, and not ever have to worry about them until the tread is gone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
One time I run Pilot Road 4 .... crap. I sold it after 2 weeks .
If u will ride with touring tires buy a tourer bike ....
The tarmac hire don't have good grip and now I running d212. Fast heat up , good grip. Q3 is a cheapest version .
Maybe SportSmart TT ? I do not know how they are ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I run the pilot road 4s on my gen 4. Grips just fine for any street riding you'll do, should last alot longer than the conti sport attacks I run on my gen one

·
Registered
8 Posts
New to forum. Picking up my 05 zx10r tonight. It needs new tires and i have 0 experience with sportbike tires. Had an 04 in 05, but never had to change tires.

Daily commute, road trips amd mountain passes. No track days. What do you guys recommend? ( i know... Very generic question) im almost set on the diablo rosso II. Thoughts?
Have you research the Pirelli Corsa 2

I don't know about durability on the road but it seem like a good option.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I commute on Avon 3d Ultra Sport. I get 8000 miles on them easy.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Metzler M7RR's offer a great balance of sticky vs longevity in my experience.
I actually have become to like the M7RR's used to use the M5's too.

If I wanted a touring tire, Pirelli Angel GT's

No matter how good a tire it might be, the Michelins Road series has such
a ugly tread design I couldn't look at my bike with those tires on it.

Bridgestone S21 best value for the money and grip.

Really do not know why so many people like the Q3's I've tried several times
track and street and think they are just right above Shinko's

I guess because they can be one of the cheapest tires people buy them?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Metzler M7RR's offer a great balance of sticky vs longevity in my experience.
I too am a fan of the M7RR. I ran them on my 16' GSXS 1000 and rode that bike extremely hard and never had an issue with slippage. I only had them for about 1500 miles before I sold the bike but tread was still 75% life. Good price, good grip, good mileage, good tire!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. It ended up coming down to the angels and the rosso 2. I like the tread pattern. The sport turing tires just looked too "goldwingish" i went with the rosso2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts