Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I recently bought an 05 ZX-10 as my first bike and I'm trying to get the horn working so I can get my inspection sticker and endorsement.
I'm still learning the in's, out's, and mechanics of riding so it's not that I'm speeding everywhere but I've learned already that cops devote their full attention to you if you happen to be riding a sportbike, and I'd rather not get pulled over for no reason whatsoever then get a ticket for riding without a license.

When I went to the DMV to get the bike registered and get my endorsement they said I need an inspection sticker before I could use my bike for the skills test that's when I realized my horn doesn't work.

I pulled and replaced the fuse with a new one, since all of my light and signal switches work fine I assumed it was the horn itself and replaced it with a used OEM horn, still no luck. It was getting late last night so I called it a night after removing the switch assembly from the handlebar and inspecting the wires and solder contacts and it all looks good. I'm working out of town during the week so this weekend I'll try and take the horn switch completely off and check the contacts on it (my buddy has a spare switch assembly that I can replace it with).

I looked through the service manual and didn't see a relay for the horn. Does anyone know of a horn relay somewhere else besides the relay box that I overlooked? And any ideas on other things I can check would be appreciated, just want to have a gameplan set up so I can get the horn working and do some riding this weekend and be ready to get my endorsement when I get some time off.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Mine quite to but i think they just croak from lack of use,i would just repace the horn if i was you.
Also that is the only thing i have had go
so pretty dam good.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The horns usually have an adjustment screw on the back of them. Basically take the horn off the lower tripple. Loosen the lock nut and while holding down the horn button slowly back the screw out. Just an idea. It may just be simply dead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you guys think both are bad? My horn wasn't working I thought that's what it was so I bought a replacement (OEM used) and still didn't work.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
The horns usually have an adjustment screw on the back of them. Basically take the horn off the lower tripple. Loosen the lock nut and while holding down the horn button slowly back the screw out. Just an idea. It may just be simply dead.
:+1:..but it is kinda strange that even the replacement horn didn't work?

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Are you getting power to the horn??

Take the two connectors off (it's easy) and put a voltmeter across them while having an assistant press the horn button.

Power but no workie? Horn is bad. No power? Circuit is bad or switch is bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you getting power to the horn??

Take the two connectors off (it's easy) and put a voltmeter across them while having an assistant press the horn button.

Power but no workie? Horn is bad. No power? Circuit is bad or switch is bad.
Yea my friend has a meter so we may check voltage before we plug in the new switch assembly. It just feels like your ahead of the game when you install something out of guesswork and that be the part that's broken. On the other hand if that's not it you realize you just wasted your time and have to undo everything you just did hah.

Just lookin to pick everyones brain in case nothing I try works and I'm stuck scratching my head.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I had the same problems with a few horns on various bikes, sometimes the screw on the horn is too tight and doesn't cause the horn to beep. try messing with the horn since you have power to the wires.

·
Registered
276 Posts
So you guys think both are bad? My horn wasn't working I thought that's what it was so I bought a replacement (OEM used) and still didn't work.
Sorry I didnt fully read your post. Not likely that 2 horns are bad, but if you have power then it dont leave much eles. Dont forget that the horn needs to be grounded while you test.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Yep; the horn button on my '04 is intermittent because of the switch button. You can probably take the switch apart and sand the contacts.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's a sign from god. A first gen zx-10r should not be your first bike. He won't allow you to pass inspection. Sorry, bud, I had to say it since nobody else has. :heyyou:

The horn should be a simple fix. As others have stated, probe the two wires going to the horn. Have an assistant press the button while the ignition is on. You should get 12vdc. If not then suspect the switch or wiring. You could connect the two terminals of the horn straight to a battery to verify that it works. Good Luck!

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
I was going to say that, but I bit my tongue ... Something smaller and less vicious would be a better choice ...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hows your riding skills buddy,im hopeing you rode some other bikes before.?
I would not want you to hurt yourself. A 05 10 is about as far away from a good bike to learn on as you can get.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
HOLY SHIT

A Gen 1 as your 1st bike. :headshake:headshake

Get health and life insurance.

Your gonna need it.

Best of luck.

And a volt meter is the 1st thing you should have broke out

when you were checking the electrical.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a sign from god. A first gen zx-10r should not be your first bike. He won't allow you to pass inspection. Sorry, bud, I had to say it since nobody else has. :heyyou:

The horn should be a simple fix. As others have stated, probe the two wires going to the horn. Have an assistant press the button while the ignition is on. You should get 12vdc. If not then suspect the switch or wiring. You could connect the two terminals of the horn straight to a battery to verify that it works. Good Luck!

You people sound like my mother!

Ha just kidding. I know, I know it's not a beginners bike but I've been looking at bikes for a while and debating what I want when I saw a fair deal for mine. Main reason I bought it is because I'd rather not buy a bike and spend money on it to get it to where I want, only to outgrow it and sell and start over. And my friend has literally every part for a first gen sitting in his garage as a spare:cool:

Call me crazy but a few people told me before I bought the bike not to buy it and a lot of the things in my life that I've done are because people told me not to. Guess I have some weird rebellious streak in me.

And it'll be a while before I push the bike to 50% of what it can do. Anyone can get hurt or killed on a bike, but I want to make damn sure if something happens to me it's not due to ignorance or overconfidence. It irks me to think of having the people that told me "no" say "I told you so", and have people say one more dumbfuck that couldn't ride killed himself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HOLY SHIT

A Gen 1 as your 1st bike. :headshake:headshake

Get health and life insurance.

Your gonna need it.

Best of luck.

And a volt meter is the 1st thing you should have broke out

when you were checking the electrical.

I'll be fine:lol:

Seriously I haven't tried anything above 7,000 RPMs and that was a long, straight, lonely highway with good conditions. I'll have several hundred hours seat time before I try to do any speed runs or curvy highway chases with another bike. I've already had people try and race but I just keep around the speed limit and they'll eventually get the picture and ride off

I will tell you about the only scare I've had on the bike so far

Leaving a friends house (about the 2nd or 3rd time riding the bike) there's a sharp "S" curve as you come up to the highway. Apparently the previous owner had installed aftermarket bar ends that came in towards the grip a little more than stock. I found this out coming into the "S" curve I let off throttle and pulled in the clutch as I went around the left and turned in a little sharper than expected, so I decided not to hold clutch going through the right when my throttle stuck open.

It's hard to explain feeling I had during and directly after the throttle sticking open. It's pretty much as if the bike was put on this earth and totally devoted to killing me. I wasn't sure at the time what the hell was going on, I only knew that this bike wasn't doing anything at all I told it to, I eased on front brake, still pushing forward I was in the curve by now so I couldn't go hard on the brakes so I grabbed clutch. Coming out of the curve I relaxed my right hand expecting to return to idle, then let the clutch out and the front popped up as I coming into the intersection. I hit the rear brake and stalled out just before the intersection trying to figure out what in the hell just happened.

I sat and caught my breath and turned around and rode back to my buddy's house. After looking at the throttle cables I noticed the rubber grip would hit the bar end and actually stick open about 1/4 throttle and take 4-5 seconds to return to neutral.

Loctite on the threads and not threading the bar end in so far took care of it.

It was a religious experience for me though and definitely made me respect the bike and take a little more time inspecting everything before I go for a ride.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bobby, you'll be just fine if you are sane with the throttle. Keep in mind that when you ran it up to 7000 rpm you were knocking on the door. Just about 7000-8000 is where the party really starts on this bike. The acceleration on the other side is astronomical.

Remember the clutch is your friend. Have you taken the MSF safety course yet? It's a very good investment. I rode for years with no M and finally I took the safety course a couple of years ago and did it right. I still learned a lot of good stuff in that weekend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bobby, you'll be just fine if you are sane with the throttle. Keep in mind that when you ran it up to 7000 rpm you were knocking on the door. Just about 7000-8000 is where the party really starts on this bike. The acceleration on the other side is astronomical.

Remember the clutch is your friend. Have you taken the MSF safety course yet? It's a very good investment. I rode for years with no M and finally I took the safety course a couple of years ago and did it right. I still learned a lot of good stuff in that weekend.
Yea 7000-8000 is where the acceleration really starts to punch. That's why I let off at 7000:mrgreen:

No I haven't taken the MSF course yet but I'd really like to. I'm waiting for a weekend that I'll definitely have Saturday off, as of now I don't know until Friday whether or not I'll have a full weekend off from work.

In 6 months to a year I'd also like to find somewhere in the Louisiana/Mississippi area that does a basic track course. I heard that no problem raceway used to have a class every few months but they don't have their road course anymore.

Does anyone know of a track in the southeast that has a course like this rather than just an open bike day?

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
I'll be fine:lol:

Seriously I haven't tried anything above 7,000 RPMs and that was a long, straight, lonely highway with good conditions. I'll have several hundred hours seat time before I try to do any speed runs or curvy highway chases with another bike. I've already had people try and race but I just keep around the speed limit and they'll eventually get the picture and ride off

I will tell you about the only scare I've had on the bike so far

Leaving a friends house (about the 2nd or 3rd time riding the bike) there's a sharp "S" curve as you come up to the highway. Apparently the previous owner had installed aftermarket bar ends that came in towards the grip a little more than stock. I found this out coming into the "S" curve I let off throttle and pulled in the clutch as I went around the left and turned in a little sharper than expected, so I decided not to hold clutch going through the right when my throttle stuck open.

It's hard to explain feeling I had during and directly after the throttle sticking open. It's pretty much as if the bike was put on this earth and totally devoted to killing me. I wasn't sure at the time what the hell was going on, I only knew that this bike wasn't doing anything at all I told it to, I eased on front brake, still pushing forward I was in the curve by now so I couldn't go hard on the brakes so I grabbed clutch. Coming out of the curve I relaxed my right hand expecting to return to idle, then let the clutch out and the front popped up as I coming into the intersection. I hit the rear brake and stalled out just before the intersection trying to figure out what in the hell just happened.

I sat and caught my breath and turned around and rode back to my buddy's house. After looking at the throttle cables I noticed the rubber grip would hit the bar end and actually stick open about 1/4 throttle and take 4-5 seconds to return to neutral.

Loctite on the threads and not threading the bar end in so far took care of it.

It was a religious experience for me though and definitely made me respect the bike and take a little more time inspecting everything before I go for a ride.
Godspeed bro and please wear all your gear.
That bike came off the assembly line trying to kill people.
Wicked acceleration.

It's scary hearing that first time riders buy such a powerful bike.
Don't let your pride get you injured or worse.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts