Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll try to keep it brief but it is a long story (I'll summerise first ).

So to summerise, fitted a carbon airbox and a new set of throttle bodies (minus the secondaries) and it runs like a bag of sh!t

Full story (or novel :wink:)
End of last season I managed to get hold of some ex vivaldi stuff (2005 ZX10), body work ally tank and carbon airbox, I had a few issues with the engine in the bike so swapped it for my spare engine, fitted the carbon airbox modded throttle bodies (secondaries completely removed) and the new tank, all fitted and hit the starter, started easy enough but ran at 5K rpm, couldnt get it down no matter what I tried, removed the tank and as I did I shorted the tank/pump accross the battery melting the insulation off of one of the wires thought I'd get some advice and change the oil in the mean time, dropped the sump plug n some [email protected] and swapped my oil for milk!! turns out the head gasket had gone on engine No 2, so sent that in for a new head gasket, whielst this was going on I researched engine No1's problem, it wouldnt shift into 2nd gear from N at stand still, turns out these bloody things have something called a posative neutral ! so it was supposed to be like that, so engine No1 goes back in with a new clutch (that was the main original problem), fitted everything back on, repaired the wiring made sure the battery was now out of the way and hit the starter, fired straight up but only seemed to be running on two cylinders, put new plugs in, swapped the coils around but still the same now I thought I'd tourched the ECU when I shorted the tank, replaced the ECU and wiring loom with a keyless loom and un imobalised ECU that was from the same fella I'd got everything else from, striped the original wiring out and fitted the new lot, hit the starter and again it seems to only be running on two cylinders, checked the enjectors are pumping fuel and they are from all four, all four coils are sparking, turns out it is running on all four cylinders but just sounds and runs really rough like the timings out or something, nothing has changed on the timing since it was taken out and it ran fine then!

So what's possibly causing this, could the throttle bodies need synchronising to match my pretty stock engine as they came from a heavily modified motor?
TPS gone t!ts up?
PC? (on my list to check)
Air leak on the TB vacume pipes? (on my list to check)
Dodgy injectors? (I'm going to swap them around and see if the fault follows em)
Inlet air pressure sensor (have a spare I'll swap to check but I dont know if thats ok either!)
I'm using a battery out of a fireblade as its smaller but I cant see how this would effect it?

Oh yeah, must say hello as this is my first post, been around here for a while mind :hello:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sadly, I would ask the same why swap questions... Other than that I have nothing. Do you happen to have some pictures of this airbox though installed?

Would love to see that sexiness!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol the fellas sending my original tb's back so will try them when they arrive, I'll stick some pics up when it's all fitted back in if you really want

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
IF it ain't broke in the first place.............................well, you know the rest but i would have to think something to do with the TB's are the 1st suspect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just a quick update, my original TBs finally came back, fitted them and so far all's looking good :thumbsup: so it looks lik there was something up with the other set, cheers for the advice guys. Off to the dyno now to see if it was all worth the hassle!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
depending on the history, the injector screens can get covered with crap and the like....removing and inspecting them could show you the potential problem all along.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Just a quick update, my original TBs finally came back, fitted them and so far all's looking good :thumbsup: so it looks lik there was something up with the other set, cheers for the advice guys. Off to the dyno now to see if it was all worth the hassle!!
good to hear man, let us know what she ends up putting down?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Likely a mapping issue. I seem to remember alot of the ZX14 guys having issues after removing the secondaries - had to get a PC and custom map.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No pics of it on my bike yet but here are some from the fella I bought it all from, the pic of the airbox isn't the best will get another when it comes back from the tuners, the bodywork is from the BSB bike shown and is all carbon fibre the tank/seat is a hand made alluminium 24L jobbie, also came with a carbon fibre battery/electronics tray and a race sub frame. Need to get it all painted as the cream and burgundy does'nt really do it for me but it'll have to stay this way for a bit as funds are a bit stretched at the mo :(

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
No pics of it on my bike yet but here are some from the fella I bought it all from, the pic of the airbox isn't the best will get another when it comes back from the tuners, the bodywork is from the BSB bike shown and is all carbon fibre the tank/seat is a hand made alluminium 24L jobbie, also came with a carbon fibre battery/electronics tray and a race sub frame. Need to get it all painted as the cream and burgundy does'nt really do it for me but it'll have to stay this way for a bit as funds are a bit stretched at the mo :(
OMG all I have to say.... Rep sent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts