Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks - I need some help if possible. I have an 05 ZX10 that seems like it may have cylinders dropping in an out. It happens at idle and just about every where in the rpm range. I noticed the problem on my second track session yesterday morning. I knew something was wrong because the bike sounded strange, wasn't pulling as hard and was bucking a bit. Riding back through the paddock the 10 was bucking and sometimes sounded like and EX500.

I pulled the seat and tank to check all the connections. Everything seems tight, dry and secure. The rely assemble however sounds like a geiger counter. I never noticed this sound before. When it is popping and clicking the motor is running rough. When the motor is running smooth the relay is relatively quiet.

I have searched the site and I see "noise related to the relay" is common but how much noise is too much? As I said, I used the search feature but I haven't seen many resolution to said "relay assemble making noise" or a confirmation that the assembly was the problem and swapping it out fixed it.

The bike is basically stock. It does has a GiPro and a Muzzy slip-on. I disconnected the GiPro and no change. The bike hasn't seen water in 6 months so it's probably not a wet connection issue. The tank is full of fresh gas. The kick stand switch is still firmly attached and hasn't moved. All wire connections seem secure and tight. The battery and ground connections are solid. The bike has 4200 miles on it, that includes about 10 track days. I bought it new and it has never been drop or abused (well I spank her at the track a bit but she likes it like that).

I just down loaded the service manual so I will go through the trouble shooting procedure for the relay assemble tomorrow. I was hoping (actual lazy is a better description) that someone had actual had this same problem and knows the solution. Thank you for any input.

Update: I swapped relay assemblies and the problem persists.

·
Registered
753 Posts
You may check the battery connections, and ground connection.
Other than that, and as you describe, the relay box might be faulty. (hope is not the ecu..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can anyone do me a solid and tell me if their relay assembly is clicking away too? Please?

Folks - I need some help if possible. I have an 05 ZX10 that seems like it may have cylinders dropping in an out. It happens at idle and just about every where in the rpm range. I noticed the problem on my second track session yesterday morning. I knew something was wrong because the bike sounded strange, wasn't pulling as hard and was bucking a bit. Riding back through the paddock the 10 was bucking and sometimes sounded like and EX500.

I pulled the seat and tank to check all the connections. Everything seems tight, dry and secure. The rely assemble however sounds like a geiger counter. I never noticed this sound before. When it is popping and clicking the motor is running rough. When the motor is running smooth the relay is relatively quiet.

I have searched the site and I see "noise related to the relay" is common but how much noise is too much? As I said, I used the search feature but I haven't seen many resolution to said "relay assemble making noise" or a confirmation that the assembly was the problem and swapping it out fixed it.

The bike is basically stock. It does has a GiPro and a Muzzy slip-on. I disconnected the GiPro and no change. The bike hasn't seen water in 6 months so it's probably not a wet connection issue. The tank is full of fresh gas. The kick stand switch is still firmly attached and hasn't moved. All wire connections seem secure and tight. The battery and ground connections are solid. The bike has 4200 miles on it, that includes about 10 track days. I bought it new and it has never been drop or abused (well I spank her at the track a bit but she likes it like that).

I just down loaded the service manual so I will go through the trouble shooting procedure for the relay assemble tomorrow. I was hoping (actual lazy is a better description) that someone had actual had this same problem and knows the solution. Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I failed to remember is that I pulled my head light fuse in preparation for the track. When I put it back in the relay went quiet. I assume the head light relay inside the main relay was making the noise. So now I am just going to change the plugs and drain the tank (check the filter in the fuel pump) and put fresh gas in it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Update: New plugs and fresh gas and new air filter fixed the problem

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Glad you figured it out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts