Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I searched the forums and did a few things that were suggested here. However - my problem still exists!

05 zx10 w/ PCIII & Full Akro system & 20k miles

The bike runs HOT, but does not cool itself down. As if the thermostat will not open up, or the waterpump is not working. It will get OVER 230 degrees and not come back down. The only way to ride this thing is at 70+mph and let the air keep it down to about 215. Even then it is so freaking hot!

I should explain further - it used to be fine, and the temperature would rise to about 215 degrees and then drop back down to 190 or so. Back and forth. Not recently. I feel like I am going to cook the engine if I don't fix it.

So what did I do?

Yes I followed suggestions here. I took the thermostat housing off and replaced the thermostat. It looked fine though - wasn't sticking. Second I pulled the waterpump. I inspected it. Looked great. Re-installed it without the cover and turned the motor over - it was spinning fine. I inspected the radiator. It hasn't taken any damage. The fins are fine and there is very little debris. And yes, the fan works - kicks on at around 210 or so?

So what happened?

I keep hearing about this "air pocket" problem but have no idea how to tell if that is what I am experiencing. Also could I have blown a head gasket??? The damn thing runs fine all day just hot as hell! But how would I know if I blew the gasket?

I took it to a mechanic last year and he said it was fine. I was like...dude, it should be cooling down at a certain point when the thermostat opens up, right? He just shrugged. Not much help there.

Sooooo...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Are you sure it's not just a temp sensor failure?
Do you feel any pressure when you squeeze the water hoses?

Did the problem start after you installed the PCIII and exhaust? A bad map will cause it to run lean and hot.....

One of the upper screws on the water pump housing will allow you to bleed the system of air. Consult the periodic maintenance section of the manual for details. Look at the sticky's -- you can download it from this forum.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
210 -220 is normal at stoplights and in traffic in the summer, but 230 constantly might have me a little worried. How is it as far as using any coolant, is your level always conscistent? Are you pushing any coolant at all out of the overflow bottle? If you are having any issues like that time to look for coolant in the oil, you may have a head gasket issue. You also could have massive airpocket but that would more likely be a one time thing and you would completely overheat.
Another thing, if your map is extremely lean you will run hot, may take a look at that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not exactly sure to be honest.

I put a new map in the PCIII, I changed the thermostat, and bled the air out of the waterpump.

I am leaning toward the map. Mainly because there was an ever-so-slight pinging up top. With the new map there was no pinging. But I am not a mechanic.

I was very happy today.

·
Registered
24 Posts
FWIW I have water wetter in my system, and it keeps the bike cooler...if not for a few degrees cooler...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts