Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again, about a month ago I posted my problem on here, which was that if the bike hit a bump of some sort, the headlight would shut of, along with the main beam not working leaving only the two side lights. The headlight would not come back on unless you slow to a near stop.

I've changed the fuse, changed both bulbs and still no change.

So the main dealer had it and could not find any breaks in the wireing system. So he put a new relay on today and still no differant. It's really ****ing me of now.

What the he'll could it be?? Where are the wires I should be looking for?

Surely you boys must know what your talking about, bEcause I don't have a clue :(. Please help me

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Just to clarify both high and low beam go out, or just the low beam thats always on? If thats the case, it could just be a bad bulb. I have seen once or twice in car applications (similar style bulb) that car can actually be a small break in the filiment, and the bulb will work sporaticlly. That may not be the issue, but if everything else checks out it may be worth a shot to replace it.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Check the plugs-pins in the headlight harness.......

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Check the actual "plug" and make sure they are connected properly, maybe even get and spray some electrical contact cleaner and spray in both ends of the plug? i had the exact same problem on another bike i had and it was simply the pins in the male side of the headlight plug were loose and not making contact all the time!! that shit drove me nuts till i figured it out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd be looking at where the cables go into the fuse box, I had a YZF750R with exactly the same problem and it was a lead that had corroded away to nearly nothing, just a green crust where it joined a connector.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I've had the actual hi/lo beam switch on the bar go bad on a couple of older bikes and cause intermittent problems like that.

I opened it up and had to resoldier the connections in the switch.

I'm not even sure if our bikes do this since only the marker lights come on when you turn the key-but many starter switches will cut the headlights while you are using the starter to ease the load on the batt.

I once had that switch go bad on an older bike and leave me with no lights and no blown fuse.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've checked all them connections and cleaned them, they all look good, still no differant though, looks like the MD will have to sort it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey youl like this, I've got the bike booked in, about a months time. Any way today started the bike up and the headlight wouldn't come on at all, only main beam worked. WHAT?!?!? Anyway i kept the main
beam on and took it on a mega bumpy road that it always goes out on and......it didn't! It stayed on. What do you make of that then!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey youl like this, I've got the bike booked in, about a months time. Any way today started the bike up and the headlight wouldn't come on at all, only main beam worked. WHAT?!?!? Anyway i kept the main
beam on and took it on a mega bumpy road that it always goes out on and......it didn't! It stayed on. What do you make of that then!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts