Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

'05 Frame Crack! What're my options?? Help! :(

Gen 1: 2004-05 
28K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  brewerszx10 
#1 ·
I was cleaning up my bike the other day and noticed a frame crack! I have a 2005 ZX-10R, and the crack is located on the right side near the bottom of the gas tank(similar to where the 04s had their cracks).

Has anybody else with an 05 ZX-10R had this problem?
Is it possible to get Kawasaki to replace this?I dont stunt this bike or any of that(i mean, it is pretty hard to crack the frame!).

I was reading how Kawasaki replaced the frames for peoples' 04 ZX10R. I called Kawasaki Customer Care, and the guy basically answered my question in 10 seconds saying no since "there are no recalls"..it was surprising he didnt take a moment to research.

However, some people are taking it to the Kawasaki dealer and getting it replaced?
Any recommendations guys?
Please help....thanks!

I attached pics below of my bike and the crack.

See less See more
#10 ·
:+1: Me too!

#6 ·
Man, that sucks. If I were you I would still try and contact some higher ups with Kawasaki. All they can do is say no, but atleast you tried. I wonder how cracks like that come about, doesn't really look like a section of the frame that sees alot of stress.

#8 ·
:+1:

That MIGHT get you a free replacement, but I at worst its just a no and you didnt lose anything by it. The only other options would be new frame, or new bike.

#9 ·
#11 ·
There was some sort of recall. No crash damage then they should take care of you. A race frame is like 500 but no serial numbers. If you can find someone with stamps your good to go.

#14 ·
talk to your dealer mine was cracked underneath by the engine mounts as well as around the right side frame bolt hole..it took me a long time being persistant with getting the issue resolved and i had to take my frame to the dealer where they measured it to make sure it wasn't bent from a crash but finally kawasaki did come through with a new replacement frame and my dealer restamped it with my original vin...i had to pay a $60 shipping fee for the frame and i did the frame replacement myself upon my request ...you may have to bother them alot but they should give you at a minimum a replacement frame free of charge..good luck

#16 ·
I wouldn't go riding it around with any cracks in the frame. You might wanna fix any cosmetic damage to the bike that might make the dealer question whether or not the bike has been down though. I mean either way you would end up repairing cosmetic damage anyways, atleast that way it might better your odds of them picking up the bill.

#18 ·
I would just buy a frame and swap it yourself, if you got tools all you need to invest is time. It will be a good way to learn the Inner workings of your bike and save a fist full of cash. Especially since you have a busted ram air duct and a cracked frame. The dealer will assume wheelies were involved, wether they were or not, so that is gonna cut their chances of helping you. If all else fails buy a new frame and some stands and bring it to me in Carson city NV I'll do it for you.

#20 ·
The dealer and Kawasaki will both tell you to sit in a corner and suck on it. The bike is over 6 years old. They aren't obligated to do a thing. It would be a hell of a goodwill gesture and I think they should help-but they very likely won't.

Get on the horn with Weazel. His offer is extraordinarily generous. We have some good people on .net! I have some stands you can borrow for the project and you'll buzz through Sacramento on the way if you decide to go with a frame swap.

My bathroom needs cleaning. Weazel, are you busy? :spit:

#21 ·
No I'm not real busy actually. Just had surgery so I am laid up, winters arecold and snowy here so I really don't have nothing better to do. Plus I know I love my bike and I would rather put wrench time into it instead of trashing it. If someone else would like to save their bike and isn't too savvy with a wrench, well shit I'll lend a hand. I love workin on shit

#25 ·
Reactions: keithk
#30 ·
To everyone involved with a cracked Gen 1 frame...

All of us need to get together in 1 spot, organize and maybe start a signature list of who wants to be involved in this.

Not saying we can get anything accomplished but the worst thing they can do is say NO.

Make so noise about this. We need to start trying to get a motorcycle magazine involved to help get some light shined on this problem...

#33 ·
That is for the gen 4 and they did do a recall for that.

Working now to start a group site for all Gen 1 ZX10R owners to sign up at and post up pics of their cracked frames.
Gonna see how many people I can get to sign up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.