Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent my forks to get rebuilt with new springs, the builder calls to confirm the year of my bike because racetech's spring numbers list my springs as ones from an 06 zx10. So has anybody had this issue ?

·
Registered
858 Posts
The 04-05 forks are pretty much the same as the 06-07. They have different axle sizes so the lower part of the fork is different. Internally I am sure they are very similar if not share some of the same parts. I say that because I have completely disassembled my 06 fork and it is very simple. So my recommendation is to go with the parts recommended by racetech. If you have any doubts just call them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just some FYI from a guy that's done more than a few dozen
ZX10Rs. 04-05 forks are 10mm shorter than 06-07. Spring free length is also different. Wire diameter is different 4.73mm for the 06-07 and 4.81 for the 04-05. 04-05 spring is longer even though 06-07 outer tube is longer. Valving as well as oil levels are different (06-07 stock oil levels are way too low for any track focus).

We've been doing fork mods to these bike since they came out. Bless Race techs heart, but they are off on recomendations as well what the real fork spring rates are. Or, I should say the stock springs are not as stiff as RaceTech says they are.

I personally use 07 forks in my 04 (custom internals). I like the larger lower bushing. It screws with others heads at the track when they see my bike with 13mm of fork tube past the upper triple (actually only 3mm when you take out the extra 10mm length).

I'll give up a certain amount of info to help here, but you must understand that this is my living and a proper ZX10R front end has come at endless days of testing and evaluations.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just some FYI from a guy that's done more than a few dozen
ZX10Rs. 04-05 forks are 10mm shorter than 06-07. Spring free length is also different. Wire diameter is different 4.73mm for the 06-07 and 4.81 for the 04-05. 04-05 spring is longer even though 06-07 outer tube is longer. Valving as well as oil levels are different (06-07 stock oil levels are way too low for any track focus).

We've been doing fork mods to these bike since they came out. Bless Race techs heart, but they are off on recomendations as well what the real fork spring rates are. Or, I should say the stock springs are not as stiff as RaceTech says they are.

I personally use 07 forks in my 04 (custom internals). I like the larger lower bushing. It screws with others heads at the track when they see my bike with 13mm of fork tube past the upper triple (actually only 3mm when you take out the extra 10mm length).

I'll give up a certain amount of info to help here, but you must understand that this is my living and a proper ZX10R front end has come at endless days of testing and evaluations.
What spring do you recomend for a heavy guy like me 95kg doing casual trackdays a tiny bit faster then the avarage guy?

My mechanic thinks he is the master of springs and such but im doubtfull. And I think I need to change the springs to something more weight adjusted.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What spring do you recomend for a heavy guy like me 95kg doing casual trackdays a tiny bit faster then the avarage guy?

My mechanic thinks he is the master of springs and such but im doubtfull. And I think I need to change the springs to something more weight adjusted.
If your rear shock was competently rebuilt very recently, your rear spring is fine. stock fork springs can be made to work at that weight (I would put in a 1.05), but fluid level must be brought up to 85mm. When I setup the forks with different valving, I also cross-port the bottom-out valve which allows the fork to use more of it travel while still in valving control. In this case, I have to make a jump to a 1.1 spring for a 95kg track rider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts