Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 zx-10 with 10k miles, most of it doing track days. I have been experiencing intermittent shut-off like the key was turned off then right back on again. Seems to happen mostly when getting back on the gas in a right hand turn. Also seems to happen more after the engine is warmed up and being pushed harder. I don't think I have noticed it in straight line riding, maybe once. It started out once in a while but now it is quite predictable, it will happen.
I have done a basic check for loose connections as this is what I think is going on. So far no luck. Any ideas??
Thanks,
Earle

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 05 has this EXACT same problem! mostly when warm,and off the initial hit of the throttle,will do exactly as you say, turn off and right back on again! anyone had this problem and found it?im starting to get worried about my baby! she has 49,890 on her clock, with still stock clutches!

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 05 did this to my once. I had just installed my Speedo Healer, but I don't see how that could have been the problem. It was about a thousand miles ago, and it hasn't happened again since. It's got 34k miles on it now. I keep hoping that it was just a one time fluke.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mine used to do the same thing I changed the coils problem fixed. It started @ about 35,000 miles now it has 50,000 miles on it and runs like new.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am gonna say battery cables also. My RC-51 used to vibrate the cable bolts loose and it would intermittently cut out. I've never had that issue with my ZX-10 but I am pretty religious with maintenance because it's a track bike so I always check it. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. All I have tried so far is going over the wiring and checking for a loose connection, including the battery and ground strap. Next I will look into getting at the coils and checking them out. This does not seem to be a common problem but I am glad I am not the only one with it.

Earle

·
Registered
474 Posts
If all your connections are good and kickstand switch is good. It could be your ignition switch. They can go bad and when they do they exhibit the symptoms your describing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Kickstand switch, problem fixxed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts