Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my bike last week, battery was very low (lights and pump worked, starter relay just clicked). Charged overnite, still low. Tried to start with cranking assist from charger, no love. Replaced battery, cranked but would not start. PC3 does not scroll LED's or communicate with laptop. Unplugged PC3, tried it with factory ECU only, would not fire. Checked power at ECU and ign. fuses. Fuses are good, power is present at the fuse block when the key is on. Inst. panel self tests, and fuel pump runs, but motor does not try to fire, even with a shot of carb cleaner. Does anybody know how to check the ECU? I'm thinking a voltage spike could have hurt the ECU.:dontknow:
Thanks - Rick

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I started going through that last night. I grounded the service wire, but still got no code. The search continues. Thanks for the reply. - Rick

·
Registered
742 Posts
I´ve been checking out the service manual, and you may follow the troubleshooting guide begining at page 3-29 as an initial approach.
The specific ECU chapter goes through 3-96 to 3-100.

Remember ECU service codes are given only to peripherals related problems (sensors, etc.) so you may actually experience problems without showing service codes, which are the hardest to find.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would grab a test light or multi-meter and start checking the outgoing power wires. you can get a schematic online or in the race manual that will show some of the hot wires that come out of the ECU. If it's bad, at least you're in luck that there a glut of ECU's on Ebay right now.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I'm gonna be an idiot and say...is it in neutral?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Answer found. ECU checked good, senility didn't allow me to remember that the DJ ignition module does NOT piggyback the PC3, it has it's own harness. Ignition module is DOA = no spark. Unplug DJ ign. module, fires right up. Moral, being lazy and cheap, ends up more expensive than just buying a battery (which I needed anyway), in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts