Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this problem had been beaten 20x both ways. Here's what I got my 05 zx-10 has stock brakes with steel braided brake lines and Titax shorty levers. I just bought a full brake system off an 05-06 zx6RR, it has the Lever, Master Cylinder, rubber lines and Calipers. So do I swap the Calipers and keep my steel lines and Titax lever OR do I swap the whole system out???:dontknow:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the ZX6 and ZX10 have the exact same calipers. The RR could be different than the 636, but my '05 636 had the same calipers as my '05 ZX10...

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the ZX6 and ZX10 have the exact same calipers. The RR could be different than the 636, but my '05 636 had the same calipers as my '05 ZX10...
The calilpers look the same but have different pistons.
The 10r pistons are light weight but let heat transfer too much which is said to be the real problem in the system.

You want to use the calipers and the 636 master cyl which means you need to use the 636 lever for the brakes. Your braided lines should work fine. May have to fiddle a bit to arrange them.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 10r pistons are light weight but let heat transfer too much which is said to be the real problem in the system.

You want to use the calipers and the 636 master cyl which means you need to use the 636 lever for the brakes. Your braided lines should work fine. May have to fiddle a bit to arrange them.
That is good information to know and makes my job easier by swapping everything

·
Registered
609 Posts

That is good information... I always thought it was just the 4 piston 2 pad calipers that were better which is why ZX14 and CBR calipers are a good upgrade :dontknow:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
That is good information... I always thought it was just the 4 piston 2 pad calipers that were better which is why ZX14 and CBR calipers are a good upgrade :dontknow:
That may be part of it too, but there was a German company that was actually selling the heavier pistons for the 05 brakes. Of course you could just order the 636 pistons from kawi but it is easier to find a deal on other brakes.

The cbr and zx14 calipers may also be built better with stiffer casings too though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts