Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...

Since everyone is having problems with the zx10r brakes... I was wondering if the 05-06 GSXR 1000 brake calipers would be a direct bolt on to the 07 ZX10R?

Thanks for the help!

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Don't know if the gixxer brakes will work but your best bet is to go with either 07 ZX-6 calipers and master cylinder or 06-07 ZX-14 calipers and master cylinder. Either system is a direct swap and work great. I have a ZX-14 master cylinder for sale if you are interested: http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46942. A few of the members here have done the conversion and everyone is very happy with the results. I'm in the process of changing over my 04 now.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Don't know if the gixxer brakes will work but your best bet is to go with either 07 ZX-6 calipers and master cylinder or 06-07 ZX-14 calipers and master cylinder. Either system is a direct swap and work great. I have a ZX-14 master cylinder for sale if you are interested: http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46942. A few of the members here have done the conversion and everyone is very happy with the results. I'm in the process of changing over my 04 now.
i got some 14 calipers on the way, but whats the difference in master cylinders? isnt the 06 10r mc a nissin as well??

·
Registered
571 Posts
I tried different sets of calipers off a ZX-6R with no success, I also tried a ZX-6R master cyl and it worked wonders. I still went ahead and bought a Brembo and am using it with the stock calipers and am very happy with the braking.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Though the MC may be the same brand, does not mean they push the same level of fluid.

Test test test when you go swap'n before going balls out into a turn.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Though the MC may be the same brand, does not mean they push the same level of fluid.
in this particular case it does as they are all Nissin with 16mm pistons.

BD

·
Registered
571 Posts
in this particular case it does as they are all Nissin with 16mm pistons.

BD
But the designs are slightly different in some cases. I compared the MC's from my '06 10 back to back with one off an '06 ZX-6R and the one off the 600 worked considerably better. The feel was better and fade was significantly less. In fact there was almost NO fade. My 10 MC faded miserably...

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
571 Posts
14r calipers is the way to go. My friends 10r got some and i think it stops better.
I tried different calipers but wasn't impressed. The problem is with the Master Cylinder.:wink:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Great information. I've been wondering about the M/C myself. Now it does look like they are diff.?

My calipers came with so I guess I'll change it out now anyways.

The Brembo sure is a fix though. That's crazy stopping power. Did you use a banjo bolt switch or the micro switch? That micro is about $80 bones I believe.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Great information. I've been wondering about the M/C myself. Now it does look like they are diff.?

My calipers came with so I guess I'll change it out now anyways.

The Brembo sure is a fix though. That's crazy stopping power. Did you use a banjo bolt switch or the micro switch? That micro is about $80 bones I believe.
The brembo is definately a sure-fire fix.... :mrgreen:

I don't ride my 10 on the street at all so I skipped the switch altogether. I have the banjo bold switch but never installed it.:dontknow:

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2016 ZX10R Race & 2016 ZX10R Street
3,648 Posts
Hmmm, maybe this is the little problem I use to have. When I first built my 06 Race bike i used all stock brake components (except for SS lines) and that thing could not stop for shit. (Im a heavy handed late breaker on the track).

In the end I slap on the stock/same setup (including calipers) from my 05 636, and it was the cats meow.... realy great breaking (plus i put Vesrah RJL on all my race bikes and street bike.

Now that was last year b4 the crash. This year i went hard and put on a 19x20 Brembo (got it for $175 on ebay), some new goodridge single line Super Bike line, and a set of Galfer Wave Rotors (ebay again $300).

Now I can stop like a freight train with these breaks.

But, my street bike (same set up as my race bikes) break leaver is mushy as hell, but the Vesrahs help out a whole lot so im just use to it.

Now my 636 mc felt like a Brembo 19x18 mc... it was goood. I ran that green and sometimes blue fluid in it.... maybe that help.

Ok I didnt add anything to this thread, but like dampers, and such...I really dont know why most make such a big deal over these parts?

You guys keep saying they are inferiour and such, but I run the piss out of mostly stock equiptment on my race bike (damper, caliper and MC). It works good to me...

Well maybe we all are just looking for a reason to mod a bike and spend cash.

dont flame me...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
this thread has been edited to remove off topic debates between myself and Quig so that it gets back on track.

BD

·
Registered
828 Posts
So, did anyone ever actually try installing GSXR calipers on their 06-07 ?

I really do need to make a caliper upgrade, and to my mind K5 calipers look a lot nicer than CBR items.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm sure they do too, but since I can't afford the product of Mr Brembo or Mr AP at the moment :smile: I'm looking for something else that's fairly cheap, works well, and (to my eyes) looks good. I know the 6-14 calipers are great, but they're also in demand and hence priced a bit higher too.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
49 Posts
I swapped my calipers for CBR brakes and they work great (just remember to shim). My buddy has always bought Gixers; 01,04,05,08 for the street and an 03 750 for the track. I have ridden all of them. I've come to the conclusion that Gixer brakes are sh!t...All of them compared to anything else.

I think that some caliper designs are better then others and while the brand can be the same I think that the purchaser (Kawi, Honda, Suzuki) have different specs requested so they all work differently. There is also a link to M/C size. I've read that just because an M/C pushes lots of fluid doesn't guarantee that it'll be great as part of your brake system. It's trial and error when bolting on other parts. I understand that the Yamaha R1/R6 M/C is a Brembo.

I just had a panic braking moment this year (animal on the road), front didn't lock up and back wheel carried off the ground. I think that's saying a lot for my brake set up using street tires.

If I was you I'd upgrade using parts that one of these posters have already done and been happy with the results rather then trying something untested. On the other hand, maybe a complete R1 brake system calipers & M/C would be better.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts