Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
04 zx10r
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got an 04. Been running it a few years now. Not a single issue! Till one day last month I went to pull out of my driveway and it started running on a couple cylinders or so it sounded. Revved all choppy sounding. Like chugging. Fuel light popped on and I remembered it was low. Was like oh f*** so I shut it off. Went to the store and got a gallon 93. Put it in and now it wont stay running. It fires most times I crank it. Some times it will just turn. When it fires, it's all choppy and sounding like only 2 cylinders are firing. I turned key on and off a bunch of times to get fuel to her. Didn't help. Let it sit a day in case I flooded it. Didn't help. Let it sit a week or more, didn't help lol. Starting fluid and throttle wide got her to fire and rev right up. Then died. And still, same thing. Bad plugs? Bad fuel pump all of a sudden? Is there a trick for them running out of gas that I haven't tried? Please help. She was mint before this! Thanks in advance any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
04 zx10r
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't checked that. I always run fresh 93. Can water leak in through gas cap if it gets old? I'll go check the inside out Derek the cap. See if there's water droplets or something. It difficult to get to fuel line?

·
Registered
04 zx10r
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I just looked in gas as far back towards the seat as i could with led flashlight. Fuel way in the back looks cloudy. And the fuel up near headlight side of tank is clear like normal fuel. Tanks clean. No rust, but I think you could be right. I'll drain it and start fresh. Now on these bikes, I heard they can be temperamental with refilling the bowls. What should I do when tank and carbs are completely empty? Just prime it?

·
Registered
686 Posts
It should fire right up since it’s fuel injected.

Definitely drain all the old fuel out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There's a good chance your pump has sucked up some nasties from the bottom of the tank and is struggling to get fuel through it's in-tank filter to send it out at the right pressure. Might be worth pulling it out and cleaning it (if draining and replacing the fuel doesn't work.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,856 Posts
There's a small stand-off pipe in the rear of the tank to help prevent water and debris to get sucked up by the pump. Water is heavier than fuel and it doesn't mix. Over time, water can build up in the bottom alone with small particles of debris. It is condensation from letting it sit with a half empty tank. If it gets to be too much water accumulated, it will get into the pump and clog the fuel injectors. Water can't fit through the injectors. First thing to do is drain the tank, fuel lines, fuel rail, and check the fuel filter to see if it's in good condition. Then you refill the tank with fresh fuel and add a little HEET (water separator) to it and try to break up any water in the injectors. The pump should self-prime once power is applied to it with fuel in the tank. That just builds up the fuel pressure needed for the injectors to fire.

If it runs OK with starter fluid, then it's not the plugs that are causing the issue.

Oh, and refill and use 87 octane fuel.

·
Registered
04 zx10r
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a small stand-off pipe in the rear of the tank to help prevent water and debris to get sucked up by the pump. Water is heavier than fuel and it doesn't mix. Over time, water can build up in the bottom alone with small particles of debris. It is condensation from letting it sit with a half empty tank. If it gets to be too much water accumulated, it will get into the pump and clog the fuel injectors. Water can't fit through the injectors. First thing to do is drain the tank, fuel lines, fuel rail, and check the fuel filter to see if it's in good condition. Then you refill the tank with fresh fuel and add a little HEET (water separator) to it and try to break up any water in the injectors. The pump should self-prime once power is applied to it with fuel in the tank. That just builds up the fuel pressure needed for the injectors to fire.

If it runs OK with starter fluid, then it's not the plugs that are causing the issue.

Oh, and refill and use 87 octane fuel.
U don't think I should run the 93? Have always run that in my sport bikes. I bought it from dealer 2 years ago. I didn't winterize like an idiot so she's been froze twice now. Fuel in tank looks cloudy at the bottom. Clear up top. So I think I need to pull tank, drain fuel, clean tank, and what about carbs or fuel injection? Clean it out somehow? Should I buy a manual for it? It's something dumb. I never have had a single issue with it. Always runs primo. Ran low on fuel and now it's doing this. Can we post videos on these threads? Ya I'm a newbie lmao not newbie to bike world. I rebuild my atv engines myself. Just never worked on this breed of bike haha

·
Registered
686 Posts
You will be ok draining it and checking the filter on the fuel pump like Sky D suggested.

No carbs on this bike. Thank goodness.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,856 Posts
U don't think I should run the 93? Have always run that in my sport bikes. I bought it from dealer 2 years ago. I didn't winterize like an idiot so she's been froze twice now. Fuel in tank looks cloudy at the bottom. Clear up top. So I think I need to pull tank, drain fuel, clean tank, and what about carbs or fuel injection? Clean it out somehow? Should I buy a manual for it? It's something dumb. I never have had a single issue with it. Always runs primo. Ran low on fuel and now it's doing this. Can we post videos on these threads? Ya I'm a newbie lmao not newbie to bike world. I rebuild my atv engines myself. Just never worked on this breed of bike haha
You should be running the lowest octane rated fuel that doesn't cause knock or ping. Since you're trying to solve a starting issue, running 87oct will help. But on a stock bike, 87 all the time will be fine. The higher the octane, the more resistant it is to knocking and pinging because it burns slower. The lower octane burns quicker making slightly more power from it. If you ran the tank low like that, then you definitely sucked up whatever was at the bottom of the tank.

Yes, remove the tank, the fuel pump, get everything out of it, and refill it. Once the pump is out, there's not much to clean once the fluids are out. Uh, the bike is fuel injected, there are no carbs. Read my previous post about the fuel lines, fuel rail, and the HEET to try and take care of the injectors. You can buy a manual if you want a hardcopy of it. The softcopy is available to download on the site. Searching this topic here also helps.

What do you mean "froze twice"? Unless you're running straight water for coolant, there's not much to worry about. You'll crack the engine block with straight water freezing up. If you didn't have a fuel tank of fuel when it was stored, and it got very cold, then you got condensation in the fuel tank contributing to the water at the bottom.

·
Registered
04 zx10r
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should be running the lowest octane rated fuel that doesn't cause knock or ping. Since you're trying to solve a starting issue, running 87oct will help. But on a stock bike, 87 all the time will be fine. The higher the octane, the more resistant it is to knocking and pinging because it burns slower. The lower octane burns quicker making slightly more power from it. If you ran the tank low like that, then you definitely sucked up whatever was at the bottom of the tank.

Yes, remove the tank, the fuel pump, get everything out of it, and refill it. Once the pump is out, there's not much to clean once the fluids are out. Uh, the bike is fuel injected, there are no carbs. Read my previous post about the fuel lines, fuel rail, and the HEET to try and take care of the injectors. You can buy a manual if you want a hardcopy of it. The softcopy is available to download on the site. Searching this topic here also helps.

What do you mean "froze twice"? Unless you're running straight water for coolant, there's not much to worry about. You'll crack the engine block with straight water freezing up. If you didn't have a fuel tank of fuel when it was stored, and it got very cold, then you got condensation in the fuel tank contributing to the water at the bottom.
Yeah by froze, I meant that it wasn't in heated storage. I moved and stored it in an ice cold shed. I neglected her those last 2 winters but not anymore. And also when I said froze I didn't winterize so the fluids all got super cold. Gets 20 below here in maine without windchill! Propper winterize this year. So she's running strong again. Was the fuel. Condensation built up in there. I've been chasing my tail on my raptor 660 atv with getting that dialed in so when this one started acting up I was like c'mon man. Not you too Haha. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Means slot. And I had the pump out but didn't visually see a filter. I just inspected and installed. Didn't want to take it apart with my luck. Now I have another issue. Lol it's getting too hot. Fans are working but not till she gets real hot. I think like 210 or so. And there's white residue droplets from antifreeze spraying out of somewhere? It's on the right. Up high. All over the rubber mat thing on top of the engine. Yesterday I saw actual wet droplets for the first time. Just a few droplets. Not a whole soaked area? Loose line all of a sudden? Time for a flush? She building pressure and needing an escape? Just weird. After210 degrees, if I come to a stop, and keep it running it turns the light on within seconds. I NEED to cool her down. Anybody ever run an online cooler? They make a bigger radiator? Pipe wrap? Any thoughts are appreciated alot. Thanks

·
Registered
686 Posts
210 seems to be normal temp in stopped traffic for me, 165-168 on highway.

I would flush it out and add new antifreeze. Check the thermostat too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts